cyclerelic

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
not sure anyone will read my jumble of words
i work for a city council
today i found a old mt bike in a pile of leaves at work
city dump
its a al frame purple 18" univaga is it worth anything frame and cro mo forks only
the cranks are white industries 175 cranks and a nice short cage xt rear mech thing ace !
do know how much the cranks go for ?
i want to keep them
cheers all
hunting for a old clock work or p7

Good find, but difficult to say anything about value without images. There's a set of White cranks in the classifieds for 50 GBP.

There's two versions: very light made in the US sets and slightly heavier Sugino made versions, they have different market values. The Sugino ones came as OEM kit on some bikes in the mid-late 90's, e.g. Santa Cruz fitted them. Easy to spot them by lettering (Sugino) on the backside of the crank arms.

Enjoy!!

I just sold a set of the Japan made ones for $60 Canadian - I was only expecting $25 or so so Iguess there is a market - I think the fixie-kids like them.

white industries cranks

i picked up a set of the sugino ones for around £30, didnt know about the sugino thing til after i got them though.
the sugino ones have been wideley slated as as too flexible and with a habit of the taper ovalising, however this problem is apparently caused by incorrect torque being applied, no expert but i understood it as they were not tightened to the correct degree which gave rise to the problems reported,
the guy at my lbs also said that sugino have never made anything crap and that they are a well respected brand, a different forging process is used apparently for the sugino white industries which makes them a tad heavier
dont quote me on this but i understand that the sugino ones aswell as having sugino staped on the back have the white industries logo painted on, where as the american made (real) white industry cranks have the logo impressed into the metal, my sugino ones had the painted logo,
the original rings that came with both sets of cranks were supposed to be shite too,
mine have polished up lovely however, and i have changed the rings and am quite chuffed with them.
The american made ones are much rarer it would appear, and back in the daY THEY WENT FOR AROUND $150, WHEREAS THE SUGINO ONES WENT FOR $50, dont know how this would work with inflation the paSSAGE OF TIME and rarity value and all that.
SORRY FOR MY BIG SPANMMY FINGERS AND CAPS BUT I REALLY CANT BE ARSED.
hope this helps, oh and what was the question?

As far as I recall, selling Marin bikes around '96 to '98, the Sugino version also had the logo stamped (they were on the '97 Marin bikes).
It is true that they had some issues with the tapers getting round, but that was only when they weren't tightened properly once in a while.
For the price, I would say they're pretty good cranks, and very good looking too.

I would really like a set of real Whites though... :p

I've got a set of the WI-Sugino ones and they are definitely stamped. Sugino cranks are very good (Mighty 900 for example) and they are a favourite with tandemists, where they survive the very heavy loads well.

All that is different is that they never spent the huge marketing bucks like Shimano so there is no PR-induced halo about them. They are nicely finished, solid, serviceable kit.

i did say dont quote me you know!!

i have sugino made ones and they are definitely not stamped but there you go.

charlieboy28

Back