Which grease for wheel bearings?

Antwack

Senior Retro Guru
Apologies as I’m aware this has probably been asked many times before but after a thorough search I still find the answer inconclusive.

I do have a large tub of molybdenum grease, would that be okay?

Ant

Apologies as I’m aware this has probably been asked many times before but after a thorough search I still find the answer inconclusive.

I do have a large tub of molybdenum grease, would that be okay?

Ant
I use Moly CV joint grease, originally because I had a tub in the garage. Works a treat.

Molybdenum Disulphide is the king (or queen) of grease, there is nothing (NOTHING) better. all other greases want to be it. :)

I also have a pot of lithium grease, silicone grease and teflon impregnated grease among many others (mmmmmm copper slip), but MD is the one to go for, be warned not to spread it around though, as it will always find your best shirt and leave a mark, even if it's in the wardrobe hundreds of miles away, only beaten by neverseize that can do it without even being openned.

So here i am mouthing off in a grease thread.

Guys moly is for sliding friction. In wheel bearings it can make the balls slide and flatspot. Its for suspension bushings, ball joints, etc.

So many great greases made for ball bearings, use any of them.

The ancient Phil grease works fine but so does almost anything else at the auto store thats for ball bearings.

My favorite for wet weather and bottom brackets is shell polyrex because it ignores water. For hubs i started using the chris king silver grease.

Back