Which Grafton cantis?

FMJ":2zdl9928 said:
There's no o-ring groove. Bikepro does mention a yet-to-be-released (at the time) Speed Controller II. I can't find any info on them (if John even made them).

Those WERE released.....

The arms have a whole different profile (similar to m900 XTR canti's) and they were much less intricate.
also cheaper.

I had several sets of those over the years, I know I took pictures of them along the way, but cant find the pics.

Here's what the arms to the SC-II's look like, you can see the profile is radically different:

No.4.JPG

Here's another set of mag-lites with the hardware Scant is eluding to. you can see what happens to magnesium under normal usage and exposure to the elements. you can see the notched hard plastic seal between the brake arm and the spring pad.

maglites.jpg

I know crystal design released several iterations of their "power brake".
The one pictured at the bikepro site is the first design.

Grafton did NOT make a Speed Controller with that slot pattern, instead of holes (out of aluminum). The slot was unique to the mag-lite's which were made exclusively of magnesium and black.

They had two spring adjusters.

The bushings were pressed into the arms (your baggie appears to contain a spring pad where it looks like the bushing is part of that pad, maybe the picture?)

They had o-ring seals under the top washer and in the back near the brake boss.

They had a notched (for the adjuster screw)hard plastic seals between the cantilever arms and spring pad.

It's not unheard of for a machinist to silently make some goodies and float them into the market place either. It wouldn't be the first time. Sure seems like a lot of trouble to me, but.....

It seems like there are several of those brakes floating around in the UK.

As long as you didn't pay Grafton pricing I would run them.......

Grafton Gruppo

grafton_group.jpg

Californian hippie":1gextz21 said:
Mag Lites

without better pictures hard to tell.

Another way to identify mag-lites is to WEIGH them.

They look like the same brake as FMJ's (non-magnesium)

Back