Which brand and why

Sithlord

Old School Grand Master
There seems to be a few of us who collect random brands and some who collect only certain ones..

Tell me why you own what you do.. ?

anything shiny...think I was a magpie in previous incarnation.

But particularly Ritchey..because these were the first upgrade I could afford/brought back in the day...

COOL DOLPHINS....DOLPHINS SHOULD NOT END UP ON A JAPANISE DINNER PLATE!.

Very much by accident, but now have three Konas.

Given the money, I would be buying more Paces, and I do plan another in the future, (Pace that is - best bike i've had so far)

Jo Brand is quite funny but I can't stand her brother Russell Brand.
I wouldn't go as far as collecting them to be honest.

Orange for me as a result in spending far too much time in Stif and Airevalley Cycles in the early '90's. Thought the original Stif shop was just about the coolest place on earth when I was 13. The fact that they didn't make a budget bike but the Clockworks were just about obtainable also helped. Oh, and they are a local company.

Had a brief affair with a GT around 2000 as I was trying to get back into the sport, wanted a full suss and didn't like what Orange had on offer at the time but quickly returned to Orange and haven't looked back since.

I also have an interest in early 90's Marins as they were my pals brand of choice bitd. :cool:

For me it's the design, particularly FS. When you look at my 97 Proflex, 98 LTS and 98 Giant 980 they are only two years apart but lightyears apart in thinking. It was a very adventurous time for FS design. I find it utterly fascinating.......and fun to ride too!

I'm a long time kona slag. I don't think they are the best bikes in the world or anything like that but i do really really like them. Had loads but don't currently own one. My next one will be an explosiv or a hot in a couple of years.

I'm also a big fan of khs. My dad bought a montana summit in 93 and i road it loads. My local bike shop used to sell them too and i used to lust after the pro and team models. I am fortunate to have a pro that i.ve slowly managed to put close to original spec but i really want a team.

I like them because they ride fantastically, the better models in particular. Despite their ropey marketing (american flags all over the place) the bikes are fairly understated. I really don't think my pro looks anything special to be honest. But the ride is awesome. Also mbuk gave the 93 pro 5 out of 5 in every category. As a young man i hung onto their every word so i had to have one. Shame it took me 17 years to get my own!

I do not collect everything. I only collect brands with a sound philosophy. Moreover they need to be relatively easy to maintain and durability/sustainability is an issue.

Quality Japanese brands: Miyata, Panasonic
Pragmatic Dutch brands: Gazelle, Batavus, Presto, Duell, Zieleman etc
US steel: Fat Chance, Grove, WTB

Back