Which brand and why

most of what i have now is related to having it back in the day

in 90/91 i had a muddy fox alu pro, so i f i see a nice fox i'll get another

in 92 i had an offroad proflex with mag20's and almost full m900 (i did alot of paperounds for that!) hence last year doing a proflex build, i still have that frame but i remain unsure what to do with it.

in 94 i had my explosif, which i sold then bought back 2 years ago, my first race ever was on that bike and i won so as a result i naturally have a soft spot for kona but only the pre paligap stuff.

then in 95/96 i got my first orange, p7 nickel xt/xtr mix, i loved it but sold it too soon :roll:

then i got in the bike trade and started buying stuff that i sold in the shops, so first of all i bought a bunch of gt's, zaskars,psyclone, lts etc then i moved to a giant dealer, so had all the team models, atx,nrs,ac, tcr,mcr, dh team the whole lot! :D

then i finally came full circle when i started at an orange dealer, i got to know the guys at orange, then found a 93 clockwork on a scrapheap and realised i liked and missed that fast aggressive retro race geometry and restored the bike.

but i have stuck with going after orange stuff for many reasons, i like the ride, i like the look, they're not daft money to get hold of, they're not too rare but rare enough, the british thing, and the fact that i think they are a good bunch of people up there, eventhough i have left the trade i still find them helpful with advice and happy to chat, they're a riders company and i like their history and how they have developed over the last 20years from being a shed operation to building one of the most versatile bikes of today (the orange 5) . . . is that enough reasons? :D

that's not to say i don't hold other brands in high esteem aswel, it's just i haven't got round to getting those bikes/brands yet!! ;) at some point i'll sort myself out a couple of GT's, a muddy fox and do something nice with the proflex.

the american super high end stuff doesn't massively appeal yet for me to chase after as i wasn't aware of it back then in 90-95 except for fat chance coz of dave hemming, so at present i'm happy chasing after what was considered to be good higher end stuff from the more mainstream producers from that period, hence the brands i have or want.

Pace - 2 bikes, forks on 5 out of of 7 MTBs,2 bars, chainrings, stem etc....
Hope - hubs on 4 bikes, brakes on 2, BB on one, QRs on 3, Spare hubset with QRs.. 2 headsets, a stem
Middleburn - chainsets on 3 bikes, QRs on one
USE - seatposts on 4 bikes
Royce - BB on 3 bikes
X-lite - bars, 2X bar ends

Why? Probably because I regard it as a statement to danish riders that I'm from the UK, that I am vain enough to think they care and they can stick their Tune, Pronghorn, New Ultimate and Principia where the sun don't shine.

Always had a soft spot for Jamis bikes. Saved up all summer when I was 15 to buy a decent bike. Parents had bought me a diamond back sorrento the year before but all my mates were riding rockhoppers and I wanted something similar.
I saved up £350 but realised this wasn't going to buy me what I wanted.
My Dad suggested looking in the local Viceroy warehouse, which I laughed at, but went along anyway.
There, to my suprise, I discovered Jamis bikes. They had a last years Dakota in red with the faux fillet brazed Tange tubing and full MT60 groupset. I wanted it straight away!
My Dad struck a deal and, as it was last years model and ex display, I got it for less than my £350 budget :D

Rode that bike to death in 1989/90 and was gutted when it was thieved from my parents shed in 1991 :(

Now have 2 Dakota's (1 exactly as my old one and just finishing building a 'Comp' version..... http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=111196) and a 1993 Dragon.

Really under rated brand in my opinion so I keep flying their flag for them :D

As far as brands go my frame of choice is Turner and I have a garage full of them. Why? As the old advertising said "As good as a Turner? There's no such thing"

Has to be Pace for me... Been around the block and back again. The first bike I lusted after from bitd. Love the cottage industry/family thing back then and still now really working with Lynskey.

Big thing for me is to talk to the people behind a product and understand what they are trying to achive. Good relationships like these I have mean alot to me.

Off round to Pace next week for tea n cake.

I bought my Explosif (my first mtb) in 1989, and after some fair to good race results managed to get some dealer sponsorship so I suppose I just kept riding what I was happy with.
I bought a RM Blizzard in 1993 but never really got on with it, so then I got a good deal on a Kilauea in 1995 and carried on riding that.

I've owned six bikes in my life and three of those were Konas, two RM and one Singular. I still have the '93 Blizzard but never ride it now (although my wife does) and I sold the 2006 Blizzard that I had.
I still have and regularly ride all the Konas though, so I suppose that makes me a Kona man...... :cool:

Back