Which bike shop did you like most back in the day?

Marshalls Cycles Stevenage Old Town and Phil Corleys in MK got my dosh BITD, didn't do mail order back then

The greatest shop in London was Magic Bicycles down Whitechapel/Mile End Road, run by 3 superb guys: Richard, Scott and Tim. Stocked all the kit you dreamed about, Kleins, Kents, Merlins, Amps, Funks the list goes on. Always remember the pink, white and green attitude hanging in the workshop and the tons of top kit in the cellar. They ran a great team (including Jenny Copnall at one point) and we all used to do the Beastway series. The shop survived on the city boys pay packets but went a bit squirrely when the evils of Cycle Surgery moved in to Spitalfields and stole that market. By the end of it all they had to refocus on the cheap end of the market, it was never the same again. Tim ended up down with Vince at Cycle Surgery and that soon became my favourite shop. Still to this day think about Magic and how cool it was

johnkiteman":gxnk19gj said:
Recycle - SE London (not that far back in the day)

A sad day when Uncle Vince threw in the towel :(

Bought a cheap Sunn road bike from there back in the 90's.

pete_mcc":3ioowfdf said:
The greatest shop in London was Magic Bicycles down Whitechapel/Mile End Road, run by 3 superb guys: Richard, Scott and Tim. Stocked all the kit you dreamed about, Kleins, Kents, Merlins, Amps, Funks the list goes on. Always remember the pink, white and green attitude hanging in the workshop and the tons of top kit in the cellar. They ran a great team (including Jenny Copnall at one point) and we all used to do the Beastway series. The shop survived on the city boys pay packets but went a bit squirrely when the evils of Cycle Surgery moved in to Spitalfields and stole that market. By the end of it all they had to refocus on the cheap end of the market, it was never the same again. Tim ended up down with Vince at Cycle Surgery and that soon became my favourite shop. Still to this day think about Magic and how cool it was

I remember nearly buying a nice Sunn-Chipie in here with manitou 2's. Never seen another one. Also the first place I saw a Slingshot.

The "Sensible" bike company I think they were called in Liss, Hants, next to the train station.

Run by a great guy, lots of great folks hung out there, unfortunately there were also a bunch of tossers who ridiculed you if you didn't have the latest kit, or the "in" anodised colour which changed from week to week.

I actually gave up racing, going to bike shops, and buying MBUK altogether and just rode for myself for more than 10 years because of people and attitudes like that.

gump":2elnchef said:
Simply the bike - at the top of Belgrave Road in Torquay. Just opposite the Church.
Started up by Jimmy Allen, Managed By Jason Birkett, who went on to open his own shop Bikin Motion in Torquay doing more road stuff.

Had some really cool stuff in.

bought my Trailstar from there a few months ago, v helpful and wicked price...

used to go to Ralph Coleman Cycles in Taunton when I was younger, got the bus from Minehead every saturday to spend paper round + pocket money on DCDs and purple alu bolts... the good old days.

Back