which bike companies do you wish would make a comeback?

racefaceec90

Devout Dirtbag
sorry if this has already been done,but was interested in peoples views.personally i have always lusted after the (pre trek) kleins with the linear fade paint jobs and oversize rigid forks,bar stem combo.but could never afford one.i remember at a london bike show in 1992,there was a klein stand.on some scales was the adroit in the gator linear fade (which i believe had a load of special components fitted to it,it weighed under 20lbs!) i also picked up an attitude frameset (with fork and bar/stem combo) and was astonished by how light it was (it was also in my fav ever klein colour scheme ,purple linear fade).i really think if gary started to make bikes again (have no idea what he is doing now) with all the technology now,he could build some awesome bikes (as long as trek didn't get involved again ;) but keep the paint jobs gary :D over to you.
group3x.jpg
p.s apologies that i have put this in the wrong section DOH!!!

FAT Chance :D :D Would love to see a new Wicked!

kaiser":3hlkaxrc said:
FAT Chance :D :D Would love to see a new Wicked!

Didn't On-One try that? I hear it was a great success and welcomed by all in Retroland... ;)

Personally I dont want to see any bike company back. If they did then they would be a poor shadow of their former selves, trying to compete in a market that is so remote from the one that they played in that their bikes and designs would be diluted to match the modern customers wants.

Their bikes and designs were of a time and that time is gone, they were from the old school of frame building where factory mass-production and profit margins were unheard of.
Personally if you like their bikes then buy an old one. In real terms the price of an Attitude today is about the same as it was in the 1990s

I am always minded to think of the Mini or the Fiat 500. Both reissued, both good cars in their own right, both have nothing in common with their 1960s counterparts. The originals have something special about them, they were true classics that have influenced many admirers, the modern ones are just conveyance for estate agents and posh girls called Annabel.

Muddy Fox! :LOL: :LOL:

Good basic bikes to get people started, and that last without breaking the bank.

The present company doesn't exist really, it's just a bad dream. :cry: :cry:

Gary Klein designs telescopes these days, I believe................

"That Hubble, it's pre-trek, right?"

pete_mcc":1dqn0jdc said:
Didn't On-One try that? I hear it was a great success and welcomed by all in Retroland... ;)

Attachments

• please let it end.jpg
    please let it end.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 1,517
To take an inverse view of the OP's question, which bike brands do you think should pull up stumps?
I have seen things with the once great BMX (then MTB) brands such as GT, Mongoose & Diamond Back, and they resemble *almost* one step above the chain store BSO.
Discuss.

pete_mcc":3mvcmtss said:

i agree, they were great in their time and still are now, but if a modern version were to come out, they would be banished to the '98--> section and be mocked if anyone posted one

p.s. i like the "the modern ones are just conveyance for estate agents and posh girls called Annabel" bit

Pace.

I wish they still made everything square and in Yorkshire and had continued the evolution of the RC100-300 series.

The idea of an RC400 with RC31's and new XTR makes me want to get another credit card the wife doesn't know about! :p

The new stuff doesn't float my boat I'm afraid.

Dyna Tech, Raleigh Special Products Division, doing cool things with modern materials for a sensible price. I imagine the 2011 MT4 would have a one piece carbon main triangle with 853 stays, bolted together.
Or the other way around! :LOL:

Back