What's with the multicoloured tape on seat tubes?

neocaligatio

Dirt Disciple
My bike has a multicoloured band/tape on the seat tube, as do loads of other bikes I've seen on here and other forums - was this just a fad?

(Not my bike.... although wish it was) Example of double bands:

holdsworth_orage_frame_174.jpg

it's the arc-en-ciel (rainbow) colours denoting World Champion. Many frame manufacturers put them on once they have a rider win the Worlds on one of their frames.

Did Townsend get a world champs in the early days? Just wondering. They were a class brand many years ago.

I suppose some use it as decoration, and the others cos they've built a frame/bike which won a world champs.

mattsccm":2cv6tvxt said:
Did Townsend get a world champs in the early days? Just wondering. They were a class brand many years ago.

I seriously doubt it. I must admit that personally speaking, I've never considered Townsend to be a 'class brand'. Perhaps I'm a snob ;)

The rainbow bands as a frame decoration are just that - decoration (in the vast majority of cases). However, strictly speaking, they cannot be worn on clothing unless the wearer has been a world champion themselves. You can see this in major professional races where ex-champions have the right to wear their sleeve and neck trimmings in rainbow bands. A friend was the recipient of a real 'telling off' from an official when spectating at a continental cyclo-cross because he was wearing an old world champions jersey under his jacket.

Back