what was your first 'proper' mountain bike!?

1990.. A Cycle Tech with a 26" front wheel, 24" rear wheel, bright blue/pink/yellow paint, and Suntour parts. It even had carbon bars back then!

I need to scan a picture of this thing.

A 1993 Kona Hahana, loved for a couple of years, upgraded then stolen from the school bikesheds shortly after. I still have the '96 Fire Mountain that replaced it, and still have some of the Hahana's parts - the 200GS thumbies are still on the Fire Mtn!

There were some nice bikes at my school in those days - I recall a couple of Dyna-Techs, a number of GT's including an Avalanche and at least one Zaskar (with a set of Judy's IIRC), an XTR clad Lotus, and a lovely fluo yellow elevated stay Alpinestars Al-mega! Happy days...

What's all this "First MTB", surely a bike is for life..... :?

Griffin Pinnacle, £ 250 from Halfords, in 1992, which i got FOC, fourth hand, years ago

Attachments

• BSO at the end 3.jpg
    BSO at the end 3.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 3,760
1995 Katarga STX Race - Tange steel - black frame, grey saddle & Kenda tires, full 7 speed STX-RC - first "propper" MTB I had; before a Puch Clubmann tourer and than a TREK 720 hybrid

Mine was a Carrera Waikoloa in pink splatter, It came with Suntour X-1 21 speed group set and I think it was an 89-90 model year.

I remember the Xpress shifters, which were Suntours version of rapid fire.

Didn't really do a lot to it as I was only 13-14 when I got it, it got run over twice and generally abused by me, I destroyed the front forks and had a Tange Switchblabe fitted, then unfortunately it got stolen from my collage. At which point I was given a Rocky Mountain Hammer for my 17th birthday, which I still have.

Unfortunately I don't have any pictures that I can find, either my own or on the web. If any one has any I'd love to see them.

Simon.

a brand new 22in (yes i know, i know) blue trek 850, circa around 1992.... but it was 1/2 price.

sold frame and moved components onto a 20 in (yes, i know i know) green saracen kilifyer frame.

.... which was "given away" in part ex for an 18 in frame (now we're talking) 1996 poflex xp-8 that i still have.

a raleigh arkansas in 1992 with 200GS

heavy as a bunch of bricks but did not know there was really better stuff :shock:
did not read any magazine and dont even recall seeing other mtbs when I was biking in the woods in the vicinity of Paris !
and no mtb shops in these suburbs too :cry:

Good grief.....just found the following in a previous thread......the Peugeot Range 10 was my first MTB....not sure what year it was.....best investigate.....check out the sizes...started at 19.5 inch :LOL:

Lasted for a good pounding until i bent the toptube and downtube just a couple of inches behind the headtube.....not a huge jump (not an off either) but enough to take this machine past it's limits....could have ended much worse....good old steel.... :LOL: Followed it up with an Emmelle Dolomite before the Team Marin 90' came along....

PeugeotRanger-2.jpg

Back