What the Johnson Johnson and Johnson is this??

I bought this oddity after someone pointed out to the seller it’s provenance.
Turns out it is an ultra low volume British carbon Kevlar construction built by a fella called Pete Jackson from Sheffield in the early 90’s.
The prototype ‘Radical’ as it was called featured in Richard Ballantines ultimate bicycle book from the same era.
I got it home this afternoon and have commenced the tear down already, finding interesting clues as I go along! The handlebars are hand laid-up carbon Kevlar but the biggest surprise was the fork blades being carbon reinforced aluminium!

I’ll do a build thread in the near future :)

Disco Drive":22tr3bvi said:
I bought this oddity after someone pointed out to the seller it’s provenance.
Turns out it is an ultra low volume British carbon Kevlar construction built by a fella called Pete Jackson from Sheffield in the early 90’s.
The prototype ‘Radical’ as it was called featured in Richard Ballantines ultimate bicycle book from the same era.
I got it home this afternoon and have commenced the tear down already, finding interesting clues as I go along! The handlebars are hand laid-up carbon Kevlar but the biggest surprise was the fork blades being carbon reinforced aluminium!

I’ll do a build thread in the near future :)

I'm genuinely pleased - for the money and curiosity factor alone it had to worth a punt, but just didn't have the cahoonas to put my money where my mouth was

Here's a pic of a Radical that I saw at the world HPV champs in London, late 80s early 90s.
I'll try to find a more accurate date.

It certainly came a log way in a few years compared to your apparent prototype.

All the best,

Attachments

• scan0036-1.jpg
    scan0036-1.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 221
Re:

indeed but it has a charm (if very bizarre) of its own

Attachments

• s-l991600.jpg
    s-l991600.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 217
Wow, nice pic! The fork blades were not only back to front but on the wrong side too! Looks soooo much better now. It seems production radicals had pace RC30’s ? Apparently he made rear suspension variants too....

Back