What state is retro biking in at the moment?

al-onestare":1vc7bm33 said:
The only theme I can't relate to is the old vs. new, preferring new and somehow linking that to fitness. It's just me, I can't relate to that - whether you have a modern or old bike - the fitter you are, the higher the chance you'll get more out if it. Again, just my two pence.

Might just be me, but I know plenty who have dusted down old bikes, realised how much they like riding and bought modern and gone on from there and left retro behind. It's not about fitness as such, just about enjoying bikes, and people realising its being on 2 wheels they like not so much the retro.

There are plenty on here who now frequent the modern 1998+ parts and hardly dip into the 1997 retro parts. Most of them have or had retrobikes but dont seem to be riding them anymore.

I'm on the cusp of doing what you've just described, Coomber. Having dusted off my retro bike 2 years ago, I've had a riot in the hills around Oporto, made a lot of new friends, but have wrecked the frame and half of the components in the process. I'm now considering very seriously moving on to a modern MTB, while keeping a nice retro bike in reserve, but I fear the following:

(1) What if I enjoy riding a modern 29er so much that I can't bring myself to ride my retro ever again?

(2) What if riding modern makes me soft -either gravitating to a lower level of fitness, getting lay on technical sections, less of an upper body work out due to having suspension, etc.?

Charlieboy28":10bdr3x8 said:
My garage is full to busting with bikes and bits, to a point where bikes are getting scuffed and scraped which i hate, 4 or 5 bikes yet to build, and all the parts already acquired but so little room to build in

I always seem to be able to find room if I need to. Have a frame sitting in customs. And will possibly have another on the way today if a deal pans out.

legrandefromage":10bdr3x8 said:
What is the state of retro biking at the moment?

Messy. I got bits everywhere, frames hanging around, wheels all over the place. It's a mess I tell ya!

Bite the bullet and take a day to organize. You'll thank yourself in the end. Just finished organizing yesterday. It was a week long project, but I really appreciate having the space now. Next step is to strip a couple of donors acquired over the last few months for upcoming builds.

735e2426-0c95-433d-b891-e18895626a1c_zps6f08f16c.jpg

ultrazenith":1w2mjnnf said:
I'm on the cusp of doing what you've just described, Coomber. Having dusted off my retro bike 2 years ago, I've had a riot in the hills around Oporto, made a lot of new friends, but have wrecked the frame and half of the components in the process. I'm now considering very seriously moving on to a modern MTB, while keeping a nice retro bike in reserve, but I fear the following:

(1) What if I enjoy riding a modern 29er so much that I can't bring myself to ride my retro ever again?

(2) What if riding modern makes me soft -either gravitating to a lower level of fitness, getting lay on technical sections, less of an upper body work out due to having suspension, etc.?

That's not actually a problem. Get the retro built up as retro and do it well like a lot of people do, keep it your hobby. Ride it at nationals or local retro meets as and when you or the group has a retroday.

It's what a lot around here do, even the younguns (20s) have bought retro bikes and are enjoying riding them. Its a different pace and not about getting 40miles of hard off road biking done in a day.

Me I just suffer retro all the time as I quite enjoy it.

Re:

Apart from the G.T, I tend to ride retro frames with modern bits on..still got soul but a realisation modern bits tend to work better, especially brakes

coomber":335ra5w8 said:
al-onestare":335ra5w8 said:
The only theme I can't relate to is the old vs. new, preferring new and somehow linking that to fitness. It's just me, I can't relate to that - whether you have a modern or old bike - the fitter you are, the higher the chance you'll get more out if it. Again, just my two pence.

Might just be me, but I know plenty who have dusted down old bikes, realised how much they like riding and bought modern and gone on from there and left retro behind. It's not about fitness as such, just about enjoying bikes, and people realising its being on 2 wheels they like not so much the retro.

There are plenty on here who now frequent the modern 1998+ parts and hardly dip into the 1997 retro parts. Most of them have or had retrobikes but dont seem to be riding them anymore.

I'd agree, I've owned many many retrobikes, but now I'm eyeing up modern bikes. Although I blae m cycling club who don't get retro and I think the constant ribbing has got to me a bit.

FluffyChicken":1nh9r4ge said:
ultrazenith":1nh9r4ge said:

That's not actually a problem. Get the retro built up as retro and do it well like a lot of people do, keep it your hobby. Ride it at nationals or local retro meets as and when you or the group has a retroday.

It's what a lot around here do, even the younguns (20s) have bought retro bikes and are enjoying riding them. Its a different pace and not about getting 40miles of hard off road biking done in a day.

Me I just suffer retro all the time as I quite enjoy it.

Yeah, seems quite a few have now got modern but kept back a retro for meets or special occasions. Don't see an issue with that. Got to do what puts a smile on your face after all.

Aren't these newfangled velocipedes a little expensive and made out of tin foil and Tupperware? I like understandable solid parts and frames that will take the stature of a real man!

Albeit slowly unless downhill.

Back