What state is retro biking in at the moment?

Chopper1192":9eh4l6rf said:
People are starting to realise that rarity doesn't automatically confer a high value on an item, as Allegro and Marina owners will attest. If was unloved back then it'll probably be unloved today. That it's one of only 3 left is of no consequence if it's beige and no one wants it.
Perfectly put.

Re:

Age, did someone mention age :D

I reached the big 60 :oops: in April.

Am I doomed to the oldies scrapyard drinking cocoa and reminiscing about the black and white days, to be pushed aside by 30-40 year olds. I don't think so :D

I was "lucky" enough to ride a blue BSA in the 60's, stripped it down and used it mess around at the start of Cycle Speedway in the North.

Rode 5 speed Raleighs and Carltons in the 70's & 80's.

Marins and Konas in the 90's.

Had a break in the 00's up until a couple of years ago, need to get fit again after years of riding.

Now after all that I've gone full circle and almost back to where it all started.

Re:

Totally get people wanting to max the cash they get when selling and I'd be the same, but the practice of splitting bikes, can only lead to the demise of pre '97 bikes.

How many frames are there in the sheds 'waiting to be built'.

Re:

Given the obsession with total originality that some members pursue, splitting up survivors always strikes me as odd.

That said it is a fact that complete bikes sell very badly, where as the same bike parted out will fly, I guess many of us just love to tinker about with bikes in the shed / garage / lounge.

Interesting subject

Just random thoughts really

There was deff a massive surge of interest in retro around the period I joined 2008/2009 everyone wanted a retro bike . That fad seems to have gone for now leaving the real fanatics, I think age is creeping into it now too for example at mayhem in 2009 there was still lots of riders still riding that rode the bikes we were on back in the day this must becoming less and less now.

It has been said before but I also think people do move on , most of the original people I rode with when I first started are still riding but not retro or very little retro. Me included!!

If we are looking at the national ride turnouts I think it's more to do with money , these days I couldn't even think about driving 500+ Miles upto the lakes and booking b&bs for a 20 mile bike ride. Didn't even question it 4 years ago :(

Re:

I still get nods and comments from randoms at trail centres on retro and I never do on modern. There is a definite appreciation regardless of the site statistics

daj":2zuwm5it said:
Interesting subject

Just random thoughts really

There was deff a massive surge of interest in retro around the period I joined 2008/2009 everyone wanted a retro bike . That fad seems to have gone for now leaving the real fanatics, I think age is creeping into it now too for example at mayhem in 2009 there was still lots of riders still riding that rode the bikes we were on back in the day this must becoming less and less now.

It has been said before but I also think people do move on , most of the original people I rode with when I first started are still riding but not retro or very little retro. Me included!!

If we are looking at the national ride turnouts I think it's more to do with money , these days I couldn't even think about driving 500+ Miles upto the lakes and booking b&bs for a 20 mile bike ride. Didn't even question it 4 years ago :(

I think that's what I think and was getting at. My own personal feelings are always going to be led by the fact that for a time my two closest riding buddies were well in to retro as well so we had a shared interest and enjoyed helping each other out with builds and going as a group to rides. We got to know posters through the rides so the site became a proper community for us.

Of my two mates, one has lost all interest in retro and the other still has a 1991 Marin but doesn't really have any interest past that bike and neither hang around on here anymore or go to rides so we tend to ride locally when we get the chance on modern bikes.

Not many of the people we used to meet on the retro rides or banter with on here post much anymore so my own sense of a community has gone. I still love the site but not like I did.

Interesting to here others feel the same as well as other thoughts.

Latest posts

Back