What state is retro biking in at the moment?

2manyoranges":17eotlj5 said:
...definite signs...you're right. I remember military Longines going for 20:00 on ebay and now.....argh

Kona locally before lockdown = 80:00 and worth it
Identical Kona on eBay during lockdown = 400:00 and I think silly money.

but there's a real sense of community on RetroBike and genuine
horror when people jack things up to ludicrous levels. Yes, things will go occasionally for silly money but I hope that the good availability of sensible things and Karma will continue....

Yes, Oranges. I don't "do" any other social media. I've found this site is covering everything bike-related that I'm looking for. Well moderated, decent demeanour, language etc.
And maybe best of all, a huge organic soup of enthusiasm and knowledge.
I've "met" so many nice folk on here. And bought some amazing framesets and components too. Different environment altogether to eBay, for example.
But back to the money thing. This recent overheating probably won't last, it's a perfect storm right now. Folk here know this, and don't want it. So, I think all will be well. Or at least not too bad.

I have a friend who owns a small bike repair shop in town, specialized in old/vintage bikes. We always say we may be the only guys who appear to actually ride vintage bike outside the heart of town. On Sundays, we never see any, only modern high end roadies, some bikepackers, and lots of modern crap susp MTBs bobbing on bike paths. Sometimes I wonder why the gear costs so much if it is never used, but it may be a French thing: almost every cool old technological thingy I have comes from abroad, mostly Germany, the paradise of gearheads. What we have here is often beaten up, overpriced, or both. No love for tech in France?

Well, I reckon that national stereotyping only works because there's a grain of truth in there. To do with national self-image maybe. Either way, I think of the French preserving their art-nouveau metro stations, and mounting their old Hirondelles or whatever on cafe walls..Not exactly tech, I admit. I've only been to France for quick visits though. And don't speak any French either, I only did German at school. In any case, I'm surprised. But not jealous, tweaking bikes, even restoring them, is more fun than nailing them to a wall. Well, it should be anyway.

I sold quite a lot of parts in the last few year but I kept a few bikes which I enjoy riding. I think it’s about riding in general, the bike I ride most is a 29er, a Specialized Chisel, it is pure joy to play with. Wide bars, 1x12 setup, disk brakes and 120 mm suspension. But also beautiful lines, a response on the pedals which is BMX like and sitting on it gives that inviting feeling to play and have fun. I won’t abandon old mountainbikes. They are fun as well. But going to play in a bike park or in the mountains is just better on a modern bike that fits the need and can be serviced without the need to look for second hand parts. I think it’s all about just going for a ride, any bike will do and give me the smile that reminds me of the freedom I felt when I was very young.

Re:

Retro bikes or retro riding? I see quite a lot about retro bikes on the internet, not just here but elsewhere too. Do I see many people riding them when I'm out and about? No. I might see a student or Deliveroo rider on an old Trek or Hardrock occasionally. I might see a nineties Marin three or four times a year, usually being used for utility purposes. And that's about it: older bikes being used as a means of transport. Retro bikes seem more popular than retro riding.

On the other hand, living on the route to one of the most popular local trails, I see a lot of people riding modern bikes: MTBs, gravel, hybrid, you name it. They're out riding for enjoyment, although generally they're plodding along. When I get out on that trail on a rigid 26-er, I overtake pretty much everyone other than lycra-clad gravel riders. While I'd like to put that down to my cycling prowess and the manliness of my leg muscles, it's probably just that the rigid 26-er is the best tool for the job: a light, gravelly trail. Except, perhaps, if the modern gravel bike is even better. And if that's the case, then perhaps the oft-noted similarity between gravel bikes and nineties mountain bikes is not a cause for surprise and scoffing; perhaps it's the gravel bikes that will kill off the retro bikes, except as museum pieces. :?:

Museum piece is a bit of a derogatory term. Just about any bicycle from the last 7 decades can be rebuilt and made 'comfortable' and safe for riding

Re:

Cassidy Ace - you have some important reflections in what you say. But there's also a lot going on.

At the moment, loads of people are getting into cycling for the first time. This is A Good Thing. They will be likely to buy something new and not have the skills to choose wisely and put together well a retro bike.

There's no doubt that the Marin Ti on my workshop wall was one of the peak-performing bikes of the early 90's. Compared with my new Cotics and Stantons, it is terrifyingly poor downhill, and handles rooty single track in a competent but equally terrifying fashion.

Mountain-biking has changed in style. GOING UP was king in the 90's - and the bikes were optimised for that. We travelled light and left no trace. GOING DOWN and GETTING AIR is the mode of the current time - which requires radically different angles and kit. Now, it's about digging up the local woods and doing a cuttie on every turn. Big footprint on the countryside.

I can ride the Thetford trails on my 90's Oranges, but with less security and lower speed. But I know something else too. My current bikes DO NOT get me up the climbs I used to whisper up comfortably in the 90's. Neither of them are Nirvana and they are VERY different.

A great deal has changed. And it's not just the bikes. Mountain biking has lost some good things and gained some good things.

Retrobike is about many things. Homage to brilliant people - Tom Ritchey, Gary Helfrich, Lester Noble. Preservation of history and memories. Nostalgic capture of times past. Good conversation and craic. Green re-use of brilliant engineering.

Latest posts

Back