What puts you off a bike/frame?

Alloy frames.
Sorry...

Succinct and to the point.......but I concur, especially the ones with 'special' tube profiling that is actually just wrong....it's all sales speak :evil:

Not so much about the bike, but more about the presentation -
I hate to see drive side photographs of bikes with the chain in the big ring/smallest sprocket combination. Middle ring/middle of the block looks much better in my opinion.

Why? - I don't know why. It's no more irrational than some people disliking black 4-arm cranks though :)

I hate the look of the latest generation of "long cage" rear mechs too - they're so long it's just ridiculous. That and riser bars fitted to stems over 100mm long (come to think of it, I'm not keen on longs stems at all, like those ridiculous 150mm Orange "Stalks" and stuff like that. Horrible things.) A friend of mine had one on his Prestige, and wondered why he couldn't get his weight back far enough when rolling steep drop-offs..... :roll:

MadCowKev":11biyhvy said:
Black wall tyres on retro bikes. So many good builds ruined by bad tyre selection.

Retro bikes = skin/amber wall tyres for me. Rule #1!

You forget that black wall tyres started coming in from 1992 or so as they were stronger for DH. I bought a set while biking on holiday in Moab and Colorado and boy were they coooool when I got back to the UK.

long travel forks! especially when plainly only used on the road in a county with no mountians! hardcore down hill bikes in the same context.

Toe clips, cotter pins (showing my age), riser bars and reflectors!

Down pointing saddles (again), bikes with saddle set way to low, long saddle stems (that'll be konas!).

Anything only looked at and polished. lt aways looks so right dusty or muddy, or that slighty damp just hosed down look.

Gène":ny8wtao0 said:
-The development in transmissions, campa has a 11 speed road transmission groupset. Was 9 not enough?

9!? Wasn't 7 speed enough? :LOL:

Didn't we already have this discussion not just a few weeks ago? When I first said... :D

I don't like shi++y CNC boutique parts that aren't worth the pot aluminum they are cut from (and the trail head stitches and sutures that usually result!), and all the modern junk painted black...black spokes, black stems, black posts, black cranks, blah blah blah.... Don't like 100mm+ forks flooding the scene, nobody needs that on a cross country hard tail.

I don't like Trek, the butchers of Klein and Bontrager. Trek should fall off the planet. No like Diamond Back/Mongoose/Iron Horse/Haro/GT pretend BMX junk brands. Except the Tech Shop GTs, Zaskar, Xizang and Psyclone...some DBRs get a pass from the hate too...

Kooka. I don't like Kooka. Garbage from day one. All Kooka junk should be melted down and pressed into Mountain Dew cans, except I don't think the aluminum would pass canning quality standards. In their own words..."Get off the trail, you weasel!"

Spooky, never liked Spooky either. Bunch of plastic image junk. Fake straight-edge crud...like hiding in your mom's bathroom huffing on her hairspray and then proclaiming about how you're bucking the man by not poisoning your body with cigarettes and booze...all the while driving your retired plummers panel-van all tagged up with crap 3rd grader graffiti to McDonald's for a McRib. Brands like Spooky and Azonic are the fake boobs of the cycling world.

Sorry for the Re-re-repost! :D :D

hamster":t8j1t430 said:
MadCowKev":t8j1t430 said:
Black wall tyres on retro bikes. So many good builds ruined by bad tyre selection.

Retro bikes = skin/amber wall tyres for me. Rule #1!

You forget that black wall tyres started coming in from 1992 or so as they were stronger for DH. I bought a set while biking on holiday in Moab and Colorado and boy were they coooool when I got back to the UK.

yes my first Onza Porcs (bought in Germany in 1990...blah blah boring story now) were blackwalls. I thought they were cool too.

However, retro builds should have amberwall tyres. Just my opinion dude ;)

Latest posts

Back