What length rigid fork for Kona?

MikeD":1jkv30su said:
However, the Pahoehoe is an alu ("freeride") hardtail

Or is that not what you meant? ;-)

I said it was an alu frame, and a freeride frame, not that the two are mutually exclusive. The Pahoehoe was marketed as a freeride bike originally ("for the new generation of freeriders"), and I only mention it because as an OB bike, it may have a different tubing from, say, a Kula, have gussets or just be made more stiff in general than an alu xc race bike. Again, this might be worth considering if someone wants to go rigid on a Pahoehoe, as the frame won't be nearly as forgiving and compliant as a steel frame, and perhaps even more stiff than your average alu frame.

Fair enough :) Although I don't think you mean "mutually exclusive" ;-)

I don't think it'll be a problem. The Pahoehoe's not all that beefy. Besides, what you attach to the front won't make much difference to how the back behaves ;-)

MikeD":132h62xw said:
Fair enough :) Although I don't think you mean "mutually exclusive" ;-)

I don't think it'll be a problem. The Pahoehoe's not all that beefy. Besides, what you attach to the front won't make much difference to how the back behaves ;-)

You seem to know quite a lot about what I think, mean and want to say.

The overall feel of the bike will change with a rigid fork, and a rigid frame with little or no bump compliance will feel even more harsh with a rigid fork. We are talking about the overall feel of the ride and not just how what you throw on the front will affect the way the rear reacts to bumps. It may or may not be fine, depending on what he likes and is used to, but as this forum is largely about sharing ideas and helping each other, I'm simply pointing out a possible downside for him to consider. It would be nice to be able to do so without getting a smart alec reply to everything I write. I've been up since 4:30, had a long day at work, am tired and hungry and not really interested in getting into a pissing match with someone, thank you very much.

You seem to know quite a lot about what I think, mean and want to say.

I'm more than happy to stand up and say I misunderstood your original comment. I now understand that you were not equating aluminium construction with "freeride". My mistake, for which I apologise. I'm not going to apologise for pointing out that you didn't mean to say "mutually exclusive" when what you clearly meant was "synonymous".

The overall feel of the bike will change with a rigid fork, and a rigid frame with little or no bump compliance will feel even more harsh with a rigid fork. We are talking about the overall feel of the ride and not just how what you throw on the front will affect the way the rear reacts to bumps.

My point is that the difference between the alu frame and anything else will be dwarfed by the difference of sus fork to rigid.

I'm simply pointing out a possible downside for him to consider.

Fair enough. In the spirit of sharing ideas, I'm simply pointing out that he shouldn't be too put off. It's worth a try, in my opinion it'll be just as fine and dandy as a steel Kona with a rigid fork.

I've apologised for the initial misunderstanding of your post. I can happily do that again. I'm sorry I misunderstood your post, and furthermore I'm sorry if that misunderstanding caused you offence. It wasn't meant to. But if you don't want people to disagree with you, don't post.

Okay Mike, now you're just being an asshole. I have no problem with someone disagreeing with me. I do have a problem with arrogant smartasses provoking for the sake of provoking without contributing anything useful to a thread, which is exactly what your first post did. Maybe you should learn when enough is enough and leave well alone now.

Oh FFS. I made a mistake, I attributed to you opinions you do not hold, I said sorry and I meant it. I'm certainly not going to rise (or descend) to name-calling.

Returning to topic, I hope that I can uncontroversially say to the OP that your bike will handle as the designers intended with a rigid fork somewhere in the 410-420/425 region, so if you get hold of one of those you won't have to worry about the steering and can decide if you like the ride or not. I'd try and get hold of a 410mm P2, I think, mainly because they're cheap :)

I'm going for the Salsa fork (still don't really trust carbon for forks, daft I'm sure). As for the frame, it's easton ultralite same as the Kula of the same year just built up with cheaper/burlier parts.

jupiter":142qujks said:
I'm going for the Salsa fork (still don't really trust carbon for forks, daft I'm sure). As for the frame, it's easton ultralite same as the Kula of the same year just built up with cheaper/burlier parts.
Yes, it's identical to a Kula (ie., in current Kona nomenclature it would be called a Kula de Luxe, just as the Muni Mula became the Kula) and it's a very light frame designed as an XC race bike.

Back