What is your Holy Grail among Japanese frame builders or marques?

Bridgestone made pretty decent frames, I had a Tange tubed road frame which was a bit solid, but dependable
Thanks, Yeah seems pretty solid. Bit of internet searching seems it might be a '93 frame (same year as my Giant Peloton). It's a little small for me so will either build and sell or turn into a tt bike.

I'm very impressed by Japan made for frames, I'd love an njs track bike, but I'll settle for a nice Panasonic road frame. They do make exceedingly good hifi!

I've never seen a Kalavinka in the uk or Europe, are they that popular in Japan?
I don’t know enough about the scene to say 100% for sure, but I think they’re pretty exclusive NJS keirin frames. They’re always finished impeccably and there are nowhere near the numbers for sale secondhand compared to Bridgestone, Level, Makino etc.

Pricewise on the secondhand market it’s Kalavinka at the top, followed by Nagasawa and 3Rensho and then the others. No idea what they cost the riders new, but they’re usually £1500-£2000 secondhand from NJS-export depending on size and finish. Plus taxes etc.

I’ve seen maybe two pop up in the UK, both on the LFGSS forum.

I have always liked the look of Kalavinka, but I think the only way to get one outside Japan nowadays is to actually go there, buy one, and bring it home. Or find a Japanese middleman...
Had one built in 1987, I drop into Tsukumo to visit when I go back to Japan. Kalavinka build a lot for Thai buyers- it's worth contacting them by email.

I don’t know enough about the scene to say 100% for sure, but I think they’re pretty exclusive NJS keirin frames. They’re always finished impeccably and there are nowhere near the numbers for sale secondhand compared to Bridgestone, Level, Makino etc.

Pricewise on the secondhand market it’s Kalavinka at the top, followed by Nagasawa and 3Rensho and then the others. No idea what they cost the riders new, but they’re usually £1500-£2000 secondhand from NJS-export depending on size and finish. Plus taxes etc.

I’ve seen maybe two pop up in the UK, both on the LFGSS forum.
Kalavinka build a few road bikes mostly for Thai buyers these days. They have a non-Japanese frame builder who I think concentrates on those, with the old guy building mostly NJS frames. It's worthwhile going onto their website to contact them.

Good to hear Kalavinka still building. I always loved their headbadge, super cool
I had the headbadge stolen when it went in for a respray in Japan... Picked up a new one (in black and silver) for when it was restored as a road-going fixed gear bike by Kevin Winter. Seriously considered it for a tattoo...

Re: Kalavinka @BongoInTheCongo
This is waaaay too small for me but look at the fit and finish of this:

In other news. This thread got me.

2D8618FC-31D8-4D77-9A7E-8EA690C6684D.jpeg

Spec:
2015 frame
TT 54
ST 52
Kasei NiCR-MO 8630 double-butted.
Seller said Max fork, but I think it's Kasei Evolution 2.

Tube specs:

Frame weight 1628g
Fork weight 700g (it's hench)

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Very interesting thread for me it would be 3 Rensho, Panasonic and Cherubim. I am pretty sure that Kaisei purchased Ishiwata back then. As much as I would have liked a Japanese frame it was always way out of my price range. Haru a well known thailandese ebay seller often has 3 Renshos, Cherubim and Zunows for sale but they rarely come in big sizes and aren't cheap. Even though, the craftsmanship on these bikes beats many other italian big brands names.

Back