What is this that stands before me?

Meejoir

Retro Guru
This frame has come into my possession from someone who knew I liked dabbling in old bikes and £20 seemed fair!

It really is rather nice but I don't think it's what it says it is. The bloke I got it from reckoned it was a brand new Raleigh Record frame from the 70s but I beg to differ, so maybe you lot can offer some advice on the pictures below.

It's a lovely matt black, and there's not a mark on it, in fact it looks like it's never been built up as there's are no indentations or scratches on the rear drop outs. Even if it'd been painted/coated there would certainly have been some marks? The decals are quite nice - they're kind of wrap around sparkly gold and the headtube badge seems genuine Raleigh and fitted rather well.

It's nowt special like a 531, it seems about the same weight as other gas-pipe 18-23 Raleighs I've had.

Other things to notice are that it doesn't have a rear mech hanger; it's got double cable feed guides on the top tube; has a gear cable feed above the bottom bracket (might be hard to see on the pictures and it has a rear brake hanger.Also, the bottom bracket has nothing other than "S" or it maybe a "5".

Maybe someone just fancied a Black and Gold Record single speed? I dunno, see what you think.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 741
  • image-2.jpg
    image-2.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 741
  • image-1.jpg
    image-1.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 741
  • image-4.jpg
    image-4.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 741
  • image-3.jpg
    image-3.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 741
  • image-5.jpg
    image-5.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 741
Re:

The RH bottom bracket cup is a 26 TPI Raleigh.
A frame is not complete without the forks. If you have them the thread will be 26 TPI also for the octagonal Raleigh headset.

Keith

Hi Keith, there's no fork unfortunately. How long ago were Raleigh using 26 tpi? All the Raleigh's I've had (mainly 70s and 80s) use a standard 24tpi.
Cheers.

Re:

It looks like a 26 TPI cup, you could check this with a spare left cup.
Replacement forks will surely be 24 TPI.

I thought their main production used 26 TPI until Nottingham closed, but I don't know what was imposed by TI when they took over Raleigh.

By 1967 I was no longer a retailer.

Keith

Is there a number in it anywhere? Underneath the seat bolt area on the seat tube?

Looks like a Raleigh/ Carlton jobby.

Shaun

Re:

Thanks for the help guys. I've discovered the number stamped to the rear of the seat tube. Any clues to what any of it means? I presume the 'N' indicates Nottingham?

Attachments

• IMG_1482.JPG
    IMG_1482.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 520
Re:

Cheers for the help. Managed to find a pic of how it might have looked. It didn't seem particularly popular as there don't seem to be many pictures of this black/gold model. Never mind, she'll keep me busy for a few weeks.

Attachments

• IMG_1484.JPG
    IMG_1484.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 499
Back