What IS the Future of Mountainbiking ?

@ doctor-bond .
riding a front suss bike , well that's a 1st time i've ever come across any one refer to a hardtail like that before and no i'm not complaining it just seems a little unusual to me and as for your day out at Dalby forrest well that seemed like a good day out to me although i've never been to one as yet but i just may give it ago some time in the near future ..

02gf74":2dww6zk1 said:
A short while back there was a massive closing of greenlanes to 4x4 so in theory bridleways could be out of bounds to cyclists.

TBH i cant see it happening any time soon.

All of my riding is on bridleways amd footpaths ( where i always dismount and walk like a good boy) and i hardly ever see another biker, and never seen one on a downhill rig. The tracks have uphill parts, some quite steep but mostly short and riding against gravity isnt what the downhillers seek.

This is one of my fears. I wish we had the Scottish right to roam in Blighty but too many nimbys would block it. The free open access to bridleways, natural varied terrain and confrontation free riding are some of best things that appeal to me.

Great post Dr Bond.

There will be restrictions increasing in Scotland as the number of irresponsible actions increase. The bans on free camping in some areas are only the start.

I am fed up with all the litter being left by riders and others.

It's funny the differences between country and evolution on the sport/activity.

Here in Portugal MTB rose to epidemic levels for the last 14 years or so. As soon as bikes started to be more forgiving and marathons emerge with the nicely "paved" trails without the edginess of some steep XC tracks (I'm not even considering DH of course), bike shops exploded, thule bike racks were all over the place, everyone bought the whole kit, they looked - oh my - so professional, well at least till they hit the trails course lol.

Another funny trend that came with the mob was the sudden urge to climb, and for hardtail fast bikes too! Instead of having fun and searching for singletracks or descents, enjoying what technology offered, like drop posts and lights fullsus bikes, nah, it was more like portraying cycling on MTB bikes...

I don't feel fear about the all the todays tech. Back in the 90s we could only dream to film our own POV movies, or having a button to drop our posts when needed. Actually apart from the confusing "this is the next big thing, forget last year review", I think in some way this made me enjoy MTB again (for the third time), after retrobiking brought me to ride again. We are in some way living the dream!

Now about the trails, as this is a small country there's little space to "explore". You adventure yourself and in no time you're trespassing. Most of the land is private, and, if you've seen Portugal from the sky, is packed with houses, walls, fences, its almost claustrophobic the human footprint.
I think we are still years behind of that view on MTB; private or dedicated trails, I'm not even sure If we will get to that, as you're only now experiencing some small levels of booby-trapped trails by some enraged hikers or land owners.

EDIT: something that scares me. E-bikes.
I kinda hate it - and I'm free to do it - cause it defeats the purpose of trying harder in cycling/MTB and sends a horrible message to those starting now, or just trying to improve.
For me, having fun in this sport implies combining physical, mental strength & skills. This is an hobby, if you take 5 more minutes to get to the top, just try harder or accept it, don't just throttle and overtake all the suckers who power themselves up the hill.

Re:

We where talking about e-bikes today and we think they are the future as we get older.

And to a comment above, I've always called 'hardtails' 'front sus' bikes as that is what they were back in the past, the days of the early 90s.
You has bikes then front sus bikes and eventually full sus bikes and even rear sus bike aka proflex normally.

Hardtail was a new term to me when I started seeing it on Retrobike.

Re:

Kestrel MX-Z.......... I saw it in a magazine once

7c9c4364.jpg

RBG

Re: Re:

FluffyChicken":332t1ryf said:
We where talking about e-bikes today and we think they are the future as we get older.

And to a comment above, I've always called 'hardtails' 'front sus' bikes as that is what they were back in the past, the days of the early 90s.
You has bikes then front sus bikes and eventually full sus bikes and even rear sus bike aka proflex normally.

E bikes are great for older or less fit cyclists. Never tried one but I watched an elegantly dressed lady in her 50s suddenly squirt through an uphill traffic gap on the A1 recently. Very impressive and it probably could save lives too with the extra power to exit dangerous situations.

I remember watching some lovelies coming out of the Pineapple Dance studio in Covent Garden dressed like that bitd. That Jennifer Beals look always appeals to me :mrgreen:

Re: Re:

FluffyChicken":fv2jen3h said:

Not to split hairs but i was using the term Front susser or front sus bike s as well as hardtail back in 88 so the saying has possibly started earlier than that but it's just good to see it still being used ;) .

Electric motors are fine for keeping older, slower folk in the sport.
The Vivax system is great, adds 100w to your existing power. As modeled by Femke Van den Driessche.

The one that worries me is the full suss e-bike such as the Lapierre Overvolt which at 500w is getting on for a small motorbike.
This is the kind of kit that will force legislation, legislation which will have un-intended consequences as all laws do.

Back