What IS the Future of Mountainbiking ?

Stick Legs":1eslntb1 said:
This is the kind of kit that will force legislation, legislation which will have un-intended consequences as all laws do.
They're already legislated. https://www.gov.uk/electric-bike-rules

• the bike must have pedals that can be used to propel it
  • the electric motor shouldn’t be able to propel the bike when it’s travelling more than 15.5mph
  • the motor shouldn’t have a maximum power output of more than 250 watts

Any electric bike that doesn’t meet the EAPC rules needs to be registered and taxed. You’ll need a driving licence to ride one and you must wear a crash helmet.

The vehicle will also need to be ‘type approved’ to make sure it’s safe to use on the road.
That's cross-EU, by the way - in the US it's 20mph and 750W.

Having ridden a 250W ebike, that's actually quite a lot of power.

Re:

There is legislation? Just don't think it is known or advertised?
I know on the road there is legislation (based on its wattage) and given that could be used for defining a split to allow them on cycle paths, bridleways etc or may even already be.
They are still a motor vehicle be it petrol or electrical.

Re:

Ah there it is :)
That's like the food old moped split and assuming it based on that guidlines 250W = 60cc or whatever it is as a basis.
Though the first thing they tell you is you can derestrict them but neglect to tell you the consequences.

Again are they then illegal off the road on bridleways etc?

I was reading an article on this the other day (not sure I can find it now, else I would link to it). There are three categories, e-bike (as described above), e-moped and e-motorbike. The laws treat them the same as their non-electric equivalents, so riding something above 250w or 15.5 mph on a bridleway would be the same as riding a moped or motorbike on a bridleway.

Personally, e-bikes have no real appeal to me. I ride a bike because I like the exercise and if I want something that goes further/faster/is a different riding experience then I want an e-motorbike (which I do want but for now will make do with my petrol one). When I get older I'll just go slower and slower!

Re:

Future will be mostly affected by e-bikes, as many here have pointed out.

In Germany the e-bike market is quite mature, so manufacturers are slowly expanding the range from urban/recreational bikes (the ones retirees buy to use on cycle lanes) into mountain bikes (brands like Haibike have a good portion of their range already electric-powered).

Till now, you only see the occasional bike on the trails, either the unfit guy that only does downhill, or the person that got an e-mtb to follow their partner up the hills.

But if e-mtbs get as popular as e-bikes currently are in Germany, I wouldn't be surprise if a lot of tracks get closed to all bikers, no matter what. Same as with funiculars bringing more people to the mountains that they would normally do if they had to climb the whole way up, e-mtbs will remove the natural barrier to overcrowded trails.

I see that as the potential biggest game-changer to mountain bike in the future.

On the technical side, I feel sorry for the bike shops as it will become impossible to keep stock of all the 1000's standards that each brand develops and discards every year...

Re:

Funiculars!

Congratulations, you're the first person on the forum to make me look up a word. :D

We actually have one in my home town, but I've never heard it called a funicular, just the Leas Lift: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leas_Lift

CYGskh6WsAAnKvM.jpg

I don't follow the logic. Funiculars, trams, cable cars and the like don't result in the places they serve being closed, nor the paths that go up (or even just down) for those willing to walk. They provide an access to those who otherwise wouldn't be able to get there.

And what's funny is that the people who take funiculars rarely stray from them. As a case in point, if you try to take the "Montenvers" train, which runs from the centre of Chamonix to the "Mer de Glace" glacier, during July or August, you can expect a couple of hours wait before being allowed on a train. When you get to the top, there's a path that runs across to the "Plan de L'Aiguille", the midpoint of the cable car going to the Aiguille de Midi. 5 kilometers or so, basically flat, well signposted and easy walking. My grandmother could do it*. And yet, even in July and August, it's deserted.

E-bikes might mean more people on some of the easy trails, but frankly I can't see "more people pedalling" as anything but good.

* well, maybe not now, as she's dead, but you get the point.

tufty":1mh741ot said:
I don't follow the logic. Funiculars, trams, cable cars and the like don't result in the places they serve being closed, nor the paths that go up (or even just down) for those willing to walk. They provide an access to those who otherwise wouldn't be able to get there.

E-bikes might mean more people on some of the easy trails, but frankly I can't see "more people pedalling" as anything but good.

The Zugspitze is the highest mountain in Germany, visited by 500,000 people per year only because a train takes you to the top. Without that train, the easiest route takes about 13 hours of walking and climbing. How many of those 500k do you think would climb if there was no train?

Most singletracks here are shared with people doing trekking. If they meet 20 cyclists per day, the situation is sustainable for all. If they need to step aside for 200 bikers, that path might be banned soon...

More bikes in the roads is good. More bikes in the mountains, only if you worked to deserve it, not if a motor took you there.

I'd love to climb Mt Everest but I'm not up to the task, like most of us. And for Mt Everest, that's probably a good thing

Re:

Snowdon here has a train and they've had to implement a voluntary ban on cyclist at times of the year. Not sure how many of us voted for this volunteering though? ;-)

Of course really it should be a walking ban as a lot walking down probably didn't deserve to walk down using the train to get up.
(Actually I doubt it is that many that use the train to go up and then walk down and probably just day trippers, but I have no evidence)

Titiritero":1j2kuntr said:
Most singletracks here are shared with people doing trekking. If they meet 20 cyclists per day, the situation is sustainable for all. If they need to step aside for 200 bikers, that path might be banned soon...
If there's more cyclists than trekkers, why not ban the trekkers?

Alternatively, and far more sensibly, separate the usages, with dedicated cycle and trekking trails, and establish a clear priority where you have to share the same trail. It's not rocket surgery, is it?

Back