What Happened to The French: Fin d'une époque?

Vitus. There was a time when I'd have killed (ok, you know what I mean) to own a Carbone 9 with Kronos forks. Even now I wouldn't turn one down given the chance.

Like in many other industries, small companies have little chance of surviving against the power of economy-of-scale and Big Marketing.

In 2014 I witnessed an interview with Valentino Campagnolo in Belgium. He was being harassed by the interviewer: "Why don't you make a better effort to compete with Shimano's excellent 105 group?"

679c0dbc-581a-4caa-a92a-215997bee1d9.jpg

Valentino Campagnolo being grilled in Ghent

His answer was as clear as it was ominous: "We don't have the development resources that Shimano has, so we focus on the markets we have a position in." Or words to that effect.

Fast forward to 2024, and Campagnolo is gone from the World Tour ...

• Sad
Reactions: Woz
....when some johnny come blows in from his Rapha pop up cafe and starts bleating on about HUNT or some other vapourware brand I have to resist the urge to tell him to FO.

To let loose a bit, I am known to have a tipple, I think the French bike industry is like going through the pain barrier. Survivors in the downs may come out strong. For how long who knows. There is certainly affection that France is not wiped out entirely in the bike industry and more recent geo-politics (which we can't talk about) is indicating some glimmers of hope - but it's more like, and rightfully a new chapter for a new generation.

I have seen recent positive things too.

Personally think it's well over the TdF emulation antics. A winner does make great publicity to sell things, but I feel French industry and bike products must say to themselves they need to diverge across all fields of cycling to survive properly.

On another note, "Mike HUNT, Mike HUNT, please come to the reception".

Back