What do you think of Shimano ditching rim brakes in 105 and higher?

Still an awful car then:rolleyes:
And you could make the best rim brakes in the world but they would still be rim brakes.

I'm not about to graft a disc brake onto a Carlton or a Bates, I indulge my rose tinted vision a great deal with old bicycles but if were talking new bikes and brand new equipment then I think they have fallen behind in overall performance and benefits to warrant moving on. They won't disappear for a long time yet. You can still buy brand new Shimano square taper BB's (albeit cheap ones) after how many years of Hollowtech?

Yeah... But

Centre pulls? They were terrible whereas the dual pivot was about as good as it got and they're 30 years plus old

Soooo ooolllllllllddddd!!!

Old!!!

I've had three disc braked bikes. Noisy, rubbed, pack up with crap and grind just like a rim brake. All sold. I've never pulled on a v brake, canti or dual pivot and thought I need more power. I'm not a d/h rider I understand they have the need. To each their own, I wouldn't give you a cup of cold p**e for a disc braked bike. Some love them though and that's ok in my book too.

Last edited:
I had the first generation Hope hydraulic in 1995, it was a hell of an upgrade from the blue dia compe cantilevers

a headset bearing change in a new road bike can be 4 or 5 hours labour, whereas an old threaded can be 20 minutes
Really? Which mechanic takes that long?
Bearing changes with aheadsets are so simple. Release the stem, drop the forks, knock the bearing out (you usually only replace the lower one), slip in new bearing, replace forks and stem. Job done. 30 mins.
Did one yesterday so I'm now an expert.

I've had three disc braked bikes. Noisy, rubbed, pack up with crap and grind just like a rim brake. All sold. I've never pulled on a v brake, canti or dual pivot and thought I need more power. I'm not a d/h rider I understand they have the need. To each their own, I wouldn't give you a cup of cold puke for a disc braked bike. Some love them though and that's ok in my book too.
Going to make a suggestion to admin....can we have a "Dislike" button too?

Back