What do you think of Shimano ditching rim brakes in 105 and higher?

carbon rims, rain and rim brakes are a bad mix. This is what drives a lot of the equipment choices I think. I don’t ride carbon rims in the wet with rim brakes if I can help it 😱. Maybe it’s my Vision Metrons being a bit rubbish?
my friend just got a set of those (tubulars)

Crap move, rim braking to me is definitely as good as cabled disc brakes, hydraulics are good but oh the maintenance... Shimano rim brakes are brilliant!

Crap move, rim braking to me is definitely as good as cabled disc brakes, hydraulics are good but oh the maintenance... Shimano rim brakes are brilliant!
Agree with the fact it’s mostly an unnecessary piece of complexity, but when you are still accelerating downhill at full lock in the wet on carbon rims you might think differently.

Bled my brakes and changed the pads last weekend. Took less than half an hour. Tools to do it cost less than £25.

Changed my brake blocks two years ago. Tools required 10mm spanner, time taken 3 minutes. I expect to do the same job in three years time.

But seriously... I have a Focus cross bike with cabled discs and it stops absolutely no better than my road bike with Dura Ace rim brakes. In fact the DA probably edge it in the wet. They have phenomenal wet braking power.

Shimano lead, and unfortunately everyone else follows. Rim brakes win hands down for reliability and virtually zero maintenance.

I got some deep section carbon wheels this year. I use rim brakes and use the blocks that came with them. Man they are fast, so I can see why everyone wants them. I've done 3 rides so far. Probably about 100 miles in total in dry weather. The braking power is good. Now the downside...... well, the riding was hilly in the Peak District and I'm a heavier build. The front blocks are half worn down. If that's typical, then it's gonna get expensive in brake blocks. So I see the advantage disks can offer. Essentially if you want the fastest wheels out there, then disks seem the best choice. ...... found it painful to say that

I wouldn't touch carbon rims with yours...!
What you use is your choice of course - but top end wheels are carbon these days, which is driving more use of discs. My ‘posh’ road bike has Alu rims and rim brakes…just saying I see both sides of the argument.

I used to wear my rims out in 6 months commute on fast wet dirty hilly trafficy roads. (1500 miles)
Pads lasted a few weeks.
When I changed to discs, the pads lasted 1000 miles and the rims - im still using them 10 years on.

I can't even remember having bled them. That reminds me...🤣

If you don't need a load of braking though, modern quality shimano twin pivot calipers do the business incredibly well. Lighter, cheaper, simpler.

(but you can't get a fat tyre in there)

Horses for courses.

Last edited:
It doesn't matter what preference of braking we each have, it's the fact that we have sort of had an option taken away from us. Cheap replacement parts or components will remain available, but it's the high end parts that are not being manufactured now. High spec rim brake wheels, calipers or levers to match the top groupsets will fall by the wayside - eventually. That is what peev's me.

Latest posts

Back