What do we think of bells.

The History Man":1h8t9qyb said:
Lighten up. :facepalm: Should I have put a smiley on there. :LOL:

I know you were being light hearted, hence the reply about my shoes, but not many people actually understand horses or why they spook when a bike comes up behind.

I like the horn, but would prefer it for my mtbs. :twisted:

I ride every day on a shared use path for about 1/2 mile.

I've always found an 'excuse me' is enough, but recently people seem to be offended by my politeness and ask where my bell is (its actually bust and i haven't bothered replacing it). My response is to stop and ask why 'excuse me' is always acceptable when on foot, but somehow offensive when on a bike? I find quite a few people I pass resent a cyclist being on 'their' path. They soon change their tune when I stop though....

I encounter horse riders when on the MTB and for that reason i have a small 'ping' bell on it.

You can get old lightweight time trial bells. I assume they are lightweight and ping too, they may not be so small though and they do go for a bit of a premium.

daugs":2isjzz5b said:
a generaton ago most people would recognise the sound of a bicycle bell but now with the new things that make an inaudible ping and the number of people wearing headphones............

although I do like something traditional

9113357531_f1a4c2c37a_z.jpg
I have exactly that bell, rose and all, except mine says "Woodrup Cycles, Leeds". It's somewhat incongruous on my orange GT mountain bike but I like it.

On the basis that I treat others as I'd like them to treat me, I have "pingers" on all of my bikes except the ones used exclusively on-road. (We are well served by mixed use paths where I live but dogs, kids and dozy runners mean caution and considerate behaviour are needed.) My routine is to ping twice when 100ft away and then again once I've slowed down to pass, unless they've made eye contact by then.

(And, why do Swiss cows wear bells? ... Because their horns don't work!!!)

Carge":3libv5lc said:
People always seem to react better to a ping of a bell, rather than a "heads up"
I agree with this. I've noticed people can get SO snotty if you give them a 'heads up', closely followed by how snotty some people get with the old style 'chk-ching' bells. Those new 'ping' bells seem to be the best option and I really ought to get one since I ride a fixed wheel bike with no freewheel click.

Of course there's always a certain 'breed' who walk in groups on cycle paths, and following the ping of a bell spread themselves all over the place in a blind panic that your about to run them down.

Theres no legislating for that lot..... ;-)

I have an old chk-ching bell or a bulb horn. Have found that the ping bells are not enough for the deaf blind walkers around Bath.

With horse riders, I've found that giving them the heads up is best, but from a good distance.

jinjrich":3c7cybl2 said:
There's no legislating for that lot..... ;-)

Too true! I often wonder, as they spread pushchairs and dogs/leads across the cycle path while they stop for a fag and a gossip, if they're really giving me the dirty for using the last remaining inch of the walkers side of the path... :facepalm:

That's really just the local parks though, where the cycle path is apparently the best place to watch the football from :LOL:

Back in the countryside proper, I hate being without a bell these days as it does seem to get a friendly reaction 95% of the time - I think because the chime is reminiscent of a more simple, carefree time ... or an ice cream van tune starting up :cool:

Essential if you go near a towpath!

I was toying with the idea of a tazer but i cannot find an appropriate bar mount for it.

Richard

Back