What did we learn today?

Chute55uk":3i73d2js said:
today i shall attempt to learn if a 26. something mm drill head will be successful in drilling out a seat post (or the remains of) after using 1,wd40 2,caustic soda 3,plus gas 4,freeze spray penetrant 5,lots of big bits of metal, hacksaws and club hammers only to remove about the first 2 inches.
btw the drill head max speed for 1m/m is 748 rpm and seeing as im going to use a cordless drill im not holding out much hope but hey hey. :D

Considering that the seat tube wall thickness is probably around 1.2-1.6mm in this area I hope to god you are using a very well set up mill when you try to drill out that seatpost.

I can see this ending in tears.

Dr S":3qlxk96r said:
Chute55uk":3qlxk96r said:
today i shall attempt to learn if a 26. something mm drill head will be successful in drilling out a seat post (or the remains of) after using 1,wd40 2,caustic soda 3,plus gas 4,freeze spray penetrant 5,lots of big bits of metal, hacksaws and club hammers only to remove about the first 2 inches.
btw the drill head max speed for 1m/m is 748 rpm and seeing as im going to use a cordless drill im not holding out much hope but hey hey. :D

Considering that the seat tube wall thickness is probably around 1.2-1.6mm in this area I hope to god you are using a very well set up mill when you try to drill out that seatpost.

I can see this ending in tears.
nope it wouldnt fit in the cordless but it did fit in the mains drill :twisted: and it worked :eek: i can now put a seatpost in my frame :D and no mills necc. just good old ignorance. i say pah to your 748 rpm i maxed that puppy out chewed through the post like butter (leaves a little sleeve of alloy which just peeled away. burnt the paint on the frame it was so hot :)
but dont worry its only gonna be an old hack bike and i couldnt care less about the frame. it does clamp up to a new seatpost and supports it fine.

Today we learnt that the new batteries for our club lights are not from a " Genuine British " EBay company ( that's a front ) but a Chinese company ( seemingly immune from trading standards ) and all quite sh1t.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ultrafire-186 ... 416wt_1273

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I learnt that winter is very very boring and it's good to have a wife who understands my weight weenie problem :oops:

Today we learnt you should NEVER get rid of your seatpost shims. Lucky for me I was yet to put the carrier bag from the shed clear-out into the metal recyclers........ PHEW!!!

Back