What colour should I choose?

FiveAlpha

Retro Guru
I have a nice Italian frame with chrome forks , from the early 90s. It needs repainting, and I will get it powder coated, because the options for enamel here in Denmark are few and expensive.

So, what colour should I go for (no metallics available)? I like orange with World Cup stripes, but that’s very 70s. Wife thinks dark green with brown leather saddle/tape but that’s not very racy. Any ideas? Please include bar/saddle colour options, if you have any.

Thanks

Re:

Do you want it "subtle, understated and classy", or "loud, fast and look-at-me" ?

Good question. As it is powder and so can't be metallic/flambouyant, I thought that 'loud' - scuba yellow, or orange or red - tend to look better in flat finishes, than dark blues, greens and purples. But I could be wrong. I am not sure, hence the question.

Will be built-up with early 90s parts, so silver seat post, stem rims, etc not black, if that helps.

Thanks

RAL 7016

with black and gold bits if you wanna be sophisticated, or bright green or dyno-rod red bits if you fancy being a bit less subtle...

I've always liked blue myself, but red with white details and all silver parts always looks good too

Colnago-Master-Erik-Zabel-Blue-1-1024x683.jpg

Re:

Colnago is nice, but metallic, so it can’t be done. Always liked Gios bikes, but not sure it’s cool to put it on a non-Gios (same with Bianchi Celeste). Might look into something like that though. Thanks

You can get metallic powdercoat. I would be wary that it will blur the lugwork. If you have fine lugs they probably won't look great.

Frankly if your choice is so limited it might be better to get it painted in the UK.

Thanks - I was concerned that could be an issue. I had a frame painted at Bob Jackson earlier this year - a great job was done. BUT... that was a Fondriest SLX with chrome lugs, so the £260 for painting and return delivery was worth it. For this beater, I think not.

I have found one company near Copenhagen, that does enamel - will try asking again, for their prices.

Back