What colnago is this?

macca85

Dirt Disciple
Hi guys.

Been working at a customers this week building an en suite, and whilst running some pipe work and cables in one of the loft spaces I stumbled across this old colnago gathering dust. Chatted to the owner briefly who says its for sale but cant remember what model it is. He bought it new from a shop called "Whiskers" in Goffs Oak. It looks pretty mint, 9/10 I'd say. Not sure on the age either as originally it did have down tube shifters which he said he replaced with integrated shift/brake levers. All shimano 600 tricolor. Made from Columbus sl tubing. I'll try to find out more info next week but in the meantime I have a wealth of knowledge in all you guys.

My 1 and only pic

Hope you can help?

Stu

Rough guess - Colnago Super - or more likely, a Super Piu - somewhere around 1987/88. The paintwork is definitely 87/88 - identical to the paint job on my Super Sprint (see pic) which was purchased new in January 1988, so probably a 1987 paint scheme.

The internal brake cable routing and chromed lugs as well as the panto'ed clover leaf on the seats stays and the Ernesto Colnago signature are all Super Piu signs.

But there are other, much more qualified Colnago experts on this forum than I, so listen to what they might say.

Cheers
Colnagolover

PS! My bike has since been resprayed and upgraded in many areas - the pic shows the original paint scheme in 2008 after 20 years of use and misuse!

Attachments

• Colnago SL Cromor.JPG
    Colnago SL Cromor.JPG
    218.1 KB · Views: 452
thanks very much, excellent information, gives me something to go on. next thing is to find out how much they are worth...

gorgeous 'nago you have, do you have a thread of the repaint and upgrades?

Hi - I hope it helps - you might find some price guidelines on ebay?? but don't use Yank prices as a guideline :facepalm:

My bike was entered in - but didn't win - the April rBoTM competition. You can see some pictures and check out a photobucket at the following link

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=293529&hilit=Colnago+Super+Sprint

Since those pics were taken, I have put a black ITM Racing 400 stem as the Modolo stem was on the verge of cracking (and I didn't want to spill blood on the new paint!!)

Good hunting

Back