What can kill the looks of a bike for you?

ededwards":g96hheyh said:
Going slightly off at a tangent here but there are some frame designs that do not look good in particularly large or small sizes.

An example is frames with a quite steeply sloping top tube such as Kona and Rocky Mountain (there are clearly others, not trying to start a discussion on the merits of either of those two but they are the ones that easily spring to mind). A large frame with a steeply sloping top tube has a particularly tall headtube which, for me, looks a bit clunky. A small frame of the same design ends up with bars pretty much inline with or even above the saddle unless there is a really long seatpost fitted which again, for me, doesn't look great. However medium sized frames of that design usually look just so.

I'm pretty sure I've made little sense as usual and I'm sure there are other examples that could be used.

Oh, and risers and barends is not a look I particularly care for.

Nope, that made sense. The small 14" Kona's look like DJ bikes, and the 20" look a little freakish with that giant HT.

Kona Paul":hqrq3y2n said:
ededwards":hqrq3y2n said:
Going slightly off at a tangent here but there are some frame designs that do not look good in particularly large or small sizes.

An example is frames with a quite steeply sloping top tube such as Kona and Rocky Mountain (there are clearly others, not trying to start a discussion on the merits of either of those two but they are the ones that easily spring to mind). A large frame with a steeply sloping top tube has a particularly tall headtube which, for me, looks a bit clunky. A small frame of the same design ends up with bars pretty much inline with or even above the saddle unless there is a really long seatpost fitted which again, for me, doesn't look great. However medium sized frames of that design usually look just so.

I'm pretty sure I've made little sense as usual and I'm sure there are other examples that could be used.

Oh, and risers and barends is not a look I particularly care for.

Nope, that made sense. The small 14" Kona's look like DJ bikes, and the 20" look a little freakish with that giant HT.

yeh i saw a 14" kona the other day and it looked odd, kinda the top tube and seat stays just run in a straight line at the same angle... it reminded me of my buddy's dmr drone but that has 24" wheels so looks less out of proportion. i think 16/18" kona look the best.

Back