Weinmann brake lever question

cchaven

Dirt Disciple
Hello,

I'm currently working on a lower end Gitane from the early 70's. It has a cast alloy Pivo stem and steel drop bars. Mounted on the drop bars are a set of Weinmann brake levers. I was wondering if you all could help me identify which levers they are:

- blades are dimpled, not drilled, with a recessed oval near the top front. In this oval is the remains of a red metal sticker. Roughly half of it is gone on one, fully gone on the other lever. The remnants of 'Weinmann' can be see though. There's also an engraved arrow starting from just above the oval, pointing to the top of the blade.

- "Made In Switzerland" is engraved on the outside of the lever, visible when it is pulled.

- extension levers installed with "Dia-Compe Pat. No 862645" engraved on the back of the lever.

I don't see any other markings.

Thanks

Here are the best I could get of the details

Attachments

• weinmann_1.jpg
    weinmann_1.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 2,076
  • weinmann_2.jpg
    weinmann_2.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 2,076
  • weinmann_3.jpg
    weinmann_3.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 2,076
  • weinmann_4.jpg
    weinmann_4.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 2,076
Later Weinmanns from the late 70s/ early 80s I's say, with satellite levers and quick release. The VCC library has some good catalogues on this brand, worth having a look to get the correct model name.

Thanks for the reply. Until I took the close up picture of the label I couldn't make out any of the letters for the bottom word. I was thinking it could be 'automatic' as well. Was Weinmann still manufacturing in Switzerland in the 80's?

I figure that, other than the metal label, these should clean up decent enough. These were/are going to be used with a set of Mafac Racer brakes.

Although they may not have been manufatured at exactly the same time, the Dia-Compe levers will have a date stamp on the inside which should give you a good ball park. ;)

Attachments

• Dia-Compe date code.jpeg
    Dia-Compe date code.jpeg
    144.1 KB · Views: 2,005
I think they are the lever QR system that you push the tab up, the lever goes up further releasing the brake blocks from the tyre when the wheel is removed

The lever tab springs back into place when you press the brake lever. Designed for callipers without a qr.

PeachyPM":3gznsj4l said:
Although they may not have been manufatured at exactly the same time, the Dia-Compe levers will have a date stamp on the inside which should give you a good ball park. ;)

Unfortunately, other than the pat# markings shown in the previous picture the only other marking on the extension levers are on the opposite side..."Japan" in a rectangle. No other markings or codes that I can find.

Back