WANTED: Someone with a lathe!

I am involved with apprentice training but sadly very few schools do any engineering now.
We even have to teach apprentice how to hold a hacksaw and how to stand. Honestly!

NeilM":23nko4nx said:
Chute55uk":23nko4nx said:
i teach at an engineering college so lathe work is easy for us to do :D

WOW! Students are still taught to use lathes?

I did my O level metalwork practical exam on a lathe, as did one other guy. All the rest of the class were beating bits of copper.

I recently thought I'd find an evening class to brush up my ancient skills, as I have a couple of little EMCO lathes. No such class exists. When I spoke to the Curriculum Manager (who is a close friend), he said the classes were dropped some while ago, due to increasing H&S requirements. :evil:
yep we do lathe, cnc turning, cnc milling, bench fitting. one of our employers is a rail refurb outfit and another is an aerospace company so theres atill a need for it

Nice - Did you bin the Cincinatti? Looks like a plain bearing headstock with oil cups. I would assume you could re-scrape the whole thing if you were inclined to.

I sent it to the great machine shop in the sky.
The bed had very little wear, it was pretty large and had inverted V for all the sliding surfaces. The spindle was plain bearing, but the spindle was very badly scored. The cross slide nut went one day, I managed to lock the slide and cut a new nut;-) The rack had some bad teeth that I ended up building up with weld and hand shaping.
The newer lathe is much nicer to use and gives a surface finish that is so much better I spent the first few weeks I had the lathe wondering why on earth I hadn't got rid of the Cincinnati years ago..

I did try and get it a new home, but all the people who showed some interest seemed to be people wanting a first lathe and it wasn't ideal, so I put them off.

So anyone with the lovely looking cnc machines got a cylindrical grinder as well?
I have to make some new spindles for my motorbike forks, I can get them hard chromed for a few quid, but will have to sort pre grind and post grind. They are approx 8" overall length, two at 3/8" diam and two at 7/16" diam..

Back