Wanted Want bike - Rigid frame main requirement, looking to pay 80-120 + postage

not sure that modern CUES fits retro freehub - I would stick with something like this if you are looking to replace https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/cassettes/sunrace-csm680-8ay-8-speed-cassette-1142t/ - check the total freehub width and also the pattern of the splines to ensure compatibility with the freehub body you are mounting it to. There are 2 x standard freehub widths - if in doubt check online guides and measure first - note that cassettes for latest 10, 11 speed freehubs don't fit onto 35 mm width HG hubs - as they are designed for wider 37mm freehub - best to measure up before you invest IMHO
Thanks, I will have to do more research then as my reading had been focused on 3x/freewheel
systems!

42t still too low for me, I would want at least 46. I would want as many teeth as I can get before the price ramps up in the extreme to £xxx for the 50t and such though I think there are 'cheap' companies that offer even these big toothers for more reasonable prices though quality would be questionable.

I have been told, by several experienced members, both here and on another forum, that as long as you have and 8 speed hub you can fit 9/10/11 speed cassettes. Oh also the great sheldon brown wrote that. Isn't the only issue with indexed shifters? I prefer none indexed anyway, so will the oldschool friction thumb shifters work with this new gear?

Old school friction shifters work with anything. Good condition vintage thumb shifters are hard to find however. Happy hunting
Wow I just had a look and they are going for like 30 quid a pair. Why so prized?

I remember the local bike charity shop I used to go just flung me one with a bunch of others and sold it to me for like a quid or two! Of course I had no idea of its value at the time however I chose it simply because it was metal over the other plastic offering.

Wow I just had a look and they are going for like 30 quid a pair. Why so prized?

I remember the local bike charity shop I used to go just flung me one with a bunch of others and sold it to me for like a quid or two! Of course I had no idea of its value at the time however I chose it simply because it was metal over the other plastic offering.
My bike comes with them 😜

Back