Wanted Want bike - Rigid frame main requirement, looking to pay 80-120 + postage

How rigid do you want?

Some rigid forks are really rigid and some rigid forks are quite flexy, but they are still rigid forks. You need to decide how much flex you want at the dropout end of the fork but this varies depending on how hard you are braking, or what terrain you are riding on, and the weight of the rider. I guess you need to find a rider who is the same weight, who uses the same brakes, and rides the same terrain and ask how much the forks flex.
It's an uphill bike.

Let me know if the bike suits and I will then buy and put a rigid fork on for you.

I have a great secondhand parts place nearby 👍
Thank you for the consideration. The gearing looks high for me though, is that only 2x?

I want a 20/22 crankset though I could get one separately maybe...but seems like quite a bit needing to change for £150 out the gate. Not saying it is not good VFM just wondering if better to look for one ticking more of my boxes from the off.

Thank you for the consideration. The gearing looks high for me though, is that only 2x?

I want a 20/22 crankset though I could get one separately maybe...but seems like quite a bit needing to change for £150 out the gate. Not saying it is not good VFM just wondering if better to look for one ticking more of my boxes from the off.
It’s a triple chainset, grannie ring is a 22tooth.

Rigid Fork would not cost me much and if anything, I’d sell cheaper as I could sell the sus fork separately.

I honestly think you need to buy a bike you like and then make the odd change you want/need.

It’s a triple chainset, grannie ring is a 22tooth.

Rigid Fork would not cost me much and if anything, I’d sell cheaper as I could sell the sus fork separately.

I honestly think you need to buy a bike you like and then make the odd change you want/need.
Hmmm :).

I presume it is a 7 speed (is it cassette or freewheel?) but @Tootyred told me not to buy one and hold out for an 8 speed. Does this get your blessing @Tootyred?

Last edited:
Hey buddy, I’m 5 10” and this fits me well.

I’d be after £150 plus post though.
It’s in mechanically perfect order with many new transmission parts.

I’m in Wiltshire if close enough to collect or I can box of for delivery.

I have different tyre options if you you prefer blackwalll rather than tan.

Comes with black VP platform pedals rather than the Blue DMR’s.

Let me know if interested.

Build page here:

Parts list:

Frame: 18” 1997 Specialized Rockhopper A1Comp Aluminium frame

Fork: RockShox Quadra 21R rebuilt with spring/elastomer internals from a later Indy fork

Headset: FSA Orbit XL II
Stem: RaceFace Prodigy Forged ahead
Stem Cap: Specialized
Handlebar: X-Lite XC-2 7075 alloy 35mm rise
Grips: Orange Strange
Barends: n/a

Brakes: Shimano Deore
Brake Pads: Jagwire (new)
Brake Cables: Stainless (new)
Cantilever cable hangers: n/a
Brake Levers: AVID SD-1.9L

Shifters: Shimano Deore thumbies 3x7
Front Derailleur: Shimano XT
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Deore DX
Derailleur Cables: Stainless (new)
Cassette: Shimano 7 speed HG41 stainless/drilled (new)
Chain: KMC-Z (new)
Cranks: FSA Dyna Drive
Crank Bolts: Shimano
Chainrings: FSA outer, Shimano middle and grannie rings (new)
Chainring bolts: KCNC blue anoside/ FSA
Bottom Bracket: Specialized 73x110mm sealed unit (new)
Pedals: DMR V6’s

Hub Skewers: Shimano STX
Rims: Specialized Z-23’s
Hubs: Shimano STX Parallax
Nipples: Brass
Spokes: Stainless
Tyres: Front - DURO tanwall, Rear Specialized tanwall Ground Control
Tubes: Panaracer

Saddle: Tan leatherette brass studded with alloy rails (new)
Seatpost: Alloy
Seatpost Binder: Specialized quick release

Weight:26.25Lbs
Hi I looked up specs a little more. Is the hub for only 7 or will it take 8 speed to?

I want a 34t back sprocket and I have read they are very hard to come by for cassettes so ironically 7 speed freewheel would offer more options there. However if it is 8 speed hub then it opens up the world of options for contemporary cassettes.

I notice the current one is only 28t which is not low enough for my tastes!

Also how much could you take off for rigid forks? I am very cognizant of the big extra hit the postage charge will be...

Hi I looked up specs a little more. Is the hub for only 7 or will it take 8 speed to?

I want a 34t back sprocket and I have read they are very hard to come by for cassettes so ironically 7 speed freewheel would offer more options there. However if it is 8 speed hub then it opens up the world of options for contemporary cassettes.

I notice the current one is only 28t which is not low enough for my tastes!

Also how much could you take off for rigid forks? I am very cognizant of the big extra hit the postage charge will be...

It is a 7 speed, I can swap the cassette out for a larger one if wanted as I have one spare. I’m away so need to confirm the largest sprocket size.

I’d do it for £120 with a rigid fork.

Re suspension, you do realise some suspension on the front will actually help climbing rougher ground? You can stiffen the preload to stop unwanted bobbing.

It is a 7 speed, I can swap the cassette out for a larger one if wanted as I have one spare. I’m away so need to confirm the largest sprocket size.

I’d do it for £120 with a rigid fork.

Re suspension, you do realise some suspension on the front will actually help climbing rougher ground? You can stiffen the preload to stop unwanted bobbing.
Well I read an article said rigid is best for hill climbing and I want to ride mostly single track roads with light off-roading. I also know the bob saps energy when climbing.

Besides that rigid easier to maintain.

Hmm a fine offer. I want to keep my options open for now as there seem to be others popping up. Feel free to give to someone else more keen should the opportunity arise :). Appreciate the offer nonetheless.

Well I read an article said rigid is best for hill climbing and I want to ride mostly single track roads with light off-roading. I also know the bob saps energy when climbing.

Besides that rigid easier to maintain.

Hmm a fine offer. I want to keep my options open for now as there seem to be others popping up. Feel free to give to someone else more keen should the opportunity arise :). Appreciate the offer nonetheless.
No worries, hope you find what you are after buddy. .

Latest posts

Back