What about Alex Singer, current owner Oliver Csuka dad Ernest was Singers cousinand and now I belive Oscar's son Walter is building too, very much in the style Alex and Ernest did?
A very interesting question. While they are indeed the same company they are turning out reproduction bike's. In the style of, more genuine the the modern "Rene Herse" offerings but still reproduction.
If I had £15,000-£20,000 I would have a modern Singer. Would I show it of here, no it's a modern bike.

Reactions: Woz
:cool:

Surely, it's all debateable but still not clear?

@Retrorockit - come on. Practically _all_ bikes shown in this entire thread are rideable. In fairness to you, for sure with some of these bikes you would (and want to) treat them with respect and not push them over their design remit. Some are so valuable and rare they are museum pieces.

Many what is presented here is found in an attic / barn and the new owner (bike tart or beginner) sort of instinctively by now realises there is part of heritage rather than just rusty scrap in front of them. With elbow grease it is surprising some of the results. I also think the French have no hang-ups on being satisfied with patina and preserved vs. immaculate and new bike show material.

@Tommy27 - yes, the neo-retro is and will always be an odd subject here. When I say here I mean the entire site. I've had my own and they went in the right sections of +98, modern, etc. Only the frameset being modern too despite parts.

Personally, I don't doubt for one minute that some of these bikes once restored to a semi-reasonable condition if displayed in a sea of modern look-a-like contemporary bicycles outside of a cyclist café, it would be these stealing the show and conversation.

The viewer will reflect (almost visually forced to), and in part it is due to the art and the pure fact the components and whole functioning contraption still make it recognisable as a bicycle. Very probably a realisation will happen, things have not really advanced soooo much - if it was built with quality in mind to begin there's a good chance it can be very servable today - as demonstrated.

Back