Very simple chainline question...

gibbon_rider

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Having looked through the forums and sheldon brown, I'm still at a loss to quite grasp chainline. :oops:

This might sound stupid but if i want a 47.5mm chainline with a 121mm bottom bracket spindle is it simply the case of getting a set of cranks that specify a 121mm bottom bracket?

I've got an old klein rascal frame with a 121mm bottom bracket which i'd rather not change as it sounds above my level of expertise. So do i just hunt down something from the Rascal column that specifies a 121mm bb on page 23 of this:

http://www.kleinjapan.com/tech_guide/pr ... manual.pdf

cheers,

Kevin

Depending on the bottom bracket though, it's as easy as buying a few £'s tool and unscrewing it.

Much easier and you get to use the cranks you actually want to use.

FluffyChicken":32mduz9t said:
Depending on the bottom bracket though, it's as easy as buying a few £'s tool and unscrewing it.

Much easier and you get to use the cranks you actually want to use.

Except, if you have an old Klein with glued bearings in the BB. That is actually quite a bit harder. Don't know if the Rascal have them though... ;)

cheers all. That's helped a lot. So not that difficult after all. The bb spindle and the cranks ensure that you have enough clearance for the chainstays, and the crank spider ensures that if you've got the right match, then you automatically get perfect chainline. I think!

The bad news is that I now need to track down a pair of Joystix!

Back