V,brakes or magura

Kev13

Retro Newbie
Hi folks doing up an old gr tempest. Want to update the cantilever brakes to either v brakes or Magyar hydraulic rims brakes what you think would be best???

Hi folks doing up an old gr tempest. Want to update the cantilever brakes to either v brakes or Magyar hydraulic rims brakes what you think would be best???
Magura will be the strongest, v brakes will be fine though. Cheaper too. I'd go for v brakes as I prefer mechanical cable setups, if something goes wrong... But if you want the best, probably Magura.

Yeah, I think unless you're chucking yourself off mountains you'll probably be fine with any v brake.

V-brakes can easily be made to grip as well as Magura by using a quality set, good cables, adding cable liner to the noodles and adding a brake booster/arch. The only thing that can't be duplicated is the buttery smooth lever pull of Magura.

Whichever looks nicer and whichever has the easiest cable/tube routing.
Make life easy for yourself.

Here's my sophisticated method of stopping the stupid Magura tubing bending and flapping about.
First you have to buy stupid metal clamps that slot into the canti cable stops.
Then you have to fix down the tubes as they are quite annoying and flap about with no tension in them.
Worked out nice though.
img_20140803_121552-jpg.530458

Last edited:
V-brakes can easily be made to grip as well as Magura by using a quality set, good cables, adding cable liner to the noodles and adding a brake booster/arch
In yer dreams :LOL: ;)

Thats getting into the realms "cantis can be just as good as discs" ,which itself was preceded by the "cantis can be just as good as V's"

I expect long before that, in the introduction of cantis, there were folk saying "Rod brakes can be just as good as cantis"

Bicycle ? whats wrong with a horse ??? :LOL:

Back