Upside Down Suspension forks

scrapper

Retro Guru
i remember the Mountain Cycle San Andreas being one of the first bikes to feature upside down suspension forks (where the lower legs travel up inside the uppers)

Technically these suspension forks are by far the best performing as the upper crown & legs can be far stiffer

the only drawback was that they need disc brakes , BITD the discs werent quite ready to match the forks

all that has changed now , disc brakes are the norm on MTB's

so why arent upside down suspension forks?

They also need a large axle on the front hub to keep that part together, much like what the brace.

Though, today the upper crown and legs are stiffer, all in one's and wider tubing.
Also the lower is nice and stiff as a rectangle.

Upside down the lowers are only connected at one point casueing that to be the flexy part (hence the need for large axles) I know they have some bolt through style* to aid this.

Though are you not just moving the problem of rigidity while also putting the seals on the part nearest the mud ?

*of course back in the day this would never happen, we needed to get wheels off quickly.. much more important ;)

I think there is a few on the market, not sure if Marzocchi Shivers are still made but if not they are modern and upside down, spotted a modern set at Glentress last weekend (dont know the make though).

As to why they are not the norm, cost of manufacture maybe ?, weight ?, also they offered and advantage of being stiff BITD but with through axles and or triple clamps modern long travel forks are plenty stiff.

FluffyChicken":3oet61d2 said:
Though are you not just moving the problem of rigidity while also putting the seals on the part nearest the mud ?

I thought this was the biggest problem, also the damage to the stanchions down there if you think what the lower on your normal forks look like after a while. Halson also did a pair called inversions.

I've got Maverick sc32s on my Stumpy - they're lovely forks, light, stiff and a bargain of eBay, although with the added expense of needing a new front wheel built up due to the aforementioned thru axle hub and buying some disc brakes for the front, it wasn't such an amazing deal!!

They still only cost £262 including the hub though ( and you need a specific Maverick sized hub too because they've got their own 18mm (I think) axle) much better than the £550 ish from the shops.

Oh yes, and they look sweet too!

You had the marzocchi bomber RAC's as well.

racl.jpg

Back