UN54 BB fitting help please

nsaints

Dirt Disciple
Feedback
View
I'm in the process of fitting a new UN54, sadly no instructions cam with it so I need some advice please

1 - Does the plastic non-drive cup get screwed 1st?
maybe the assembly order doesn't matter - I'm not sure

2 - Should the shoulders of both cups tighten against the BB shell
Mine do not unless I add a spacer from a HT2 BB
Without the spacer the BB cups tighten with a 0.5 mm gap

thanks in advance

doesn't really matter but sometimes i find it easier to thread the plastic collar in a few turns to align the main body.

there are two main sizes of bb 68 and 73mm so chances are you have a 73mm bb in a 68mm shell.

I usually put the plastic one in first on the basis that if I need to get heavy with the fitting tool its best putting power through the metal side
the gap though concerns me ...have you tried fitting it yet ?
just check the shell size matches and if it didnt come with a spacer dont use one.

just re read and if its only .5mm gap then just make sure the metal bit is in all the way then do the plastic bit up as tight as poss being careful not to crack it. if you want to be really anal about it you could take it to your lbs and get them to chase the threads and run the tool a bit further to extend them a bit.

Thanks for the advice - it's a 68mm and the BB didn't come with any spacers
Incidently - It's a brand new Woods EBB it's screwing into

So I've just tightened hard on the metal side 1st, then in with the plastic side as tight as I'm comfortable without fear cracking it

still have a small gap before the plastic NDS shoulder hits the EBB - I guess I'll have to keep an eye on it :?:

un54

as long as the metal drive side butts up tight against the shell, the carrier cup can expose a couple of threads, no problem just make sure it's nipped up. Like in your last post, nice n tight but dont swing on the spanner.
You did lightly grease the threads? Not needed with vinyl cups though.

Threads are greased on both sides - force of habit on the plastic side, as it'll never bind
should I clean the grease off the plastic side?

Here's how my 54 fitted, drive side first :

DSC04137.jpg

Non drive side second :

DSC04132.jpg

I swapped the plastic cup for a metal version. All threads were coated with anti seize and so was the interface between the body and the loose cup :D

WD :D

Not sure :?

The shop my friend works at had a load of bb's and the boxes / lengths had all got mixed up. In hunting through the boxes, one had a metal cup which they were quite happy for me to mix and match it to the bracket I needed :D

I did have another that I stripped of my proflex but I gave it away recently as karma in answer to a wanted add ...

WD :D

Back