Campagnolo Black and White derailleur!!?

Canuk

Retro Guru
I've seen Graphite finish Athena, even gold plated but black and white? Did I miss something on the Campagnolo timeline!? It's nos, boxed from a guy selling lots of nos parts

Attachments

• IMG_20240922_131154.jpg
    IMG_20240922_131154.jpg
    283.4 KB · Views: 14
As far as I know it wasn't launched commercially but occasionally Campagnolo do produce "specials" as demos for OEM. Could be it's one of those, or maybe someone dropped the roll-pins out of the parallelogram assembly (do-able with the right kit) and painted it AM.

As an example of a "special", I have a full prototype Potenza group, for instance, branded Athena, made before the name Potenza was settled on, used as a show-piece for potential OEMs.

It's all a little too perfect to be done after market - and it's in the original box. I wonder if they were trying to emulate the Shimano Sante group with it's pearlescent finish? I've seen quite a few factory anodised vintage Super Record parts (gold and black) but never anything as wacky as this. I suppose collectors will always pay over the odds for rare pieces.

I like the Swiss custom made ICS parts. They were gold plating Campagnolo 20 years before anyone else.

Attachments

• IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20240922_183332.jpg
    IMG_20240922_183332.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 7
Their 3D adjustable Super Record rear derailleur was a very nice piece of kit. Pay 1000's for an example now

It's all a little too perfect to be done after market - and it's in the original box. I wonder if they were trying to emulate the Shimano Sante group with it's pearlescent finish? I've seen quite a few factory anodised vintage Super Record parts (gold and black) but never anything as wacky as this. I suppose collectors will always pay over the odds for rare pieces.
Yes, entirely possible.

They do specials, as I say - sometimes, they end up doing short runs (i.e. they do some Bora WTO wheels with just the "shield" logo at the valve, for one OEM), sometimes not.

Just looking at it, and as a layman, it appears fairly low-rent. I'm thinking Xenon type level.

Back