u brake question-warning kind of long getting to the point

stingray230sx

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Ok, I have an early specialized hardrock frame, or so MTBR forum members say.

when me and my buds first started mt biking my buddy bought a specialized rockhopper comp and I got a Raleigh mt300, he had to have a lot of everything, bought a Park PRS-5 stand etc etc.

we hung out in his garage a lot and did the beer/hunting/cars/bikes/girls thing a lot.
he traded a kid around the hill for a "beater" old red bike with a bent fork, and broken rear derailleur, converted to singlespeed etc etc etc.

"supposed" to be a rockhopper so he wanted it, bought parts for it, another friend had a giant and had a lbs throw on a fork, so he acquired the 1" threaded from it to go with the frame.

painted frame and fork black, hung it up in the garage rafters and then got married[you can see where this is going] new wifey put a big damper on his weekend activities, and his brother had bought a 4 wheeler for the hunting seasons, so he sold me everything [park stand, parts, frame and fork etc, in trade for 4 new tires for the 4 wheeler, cause the wifey wouldn't let him buy anything else.......

so I was into working on my bike and made it 8 speed so I had my Raleigh's stx hubbed cr-18 7 speed wheels, and stx shifter/brakes so I started playing with it.
he had bought the wrong bottom bracket and m737 xt derailleurs so I used the front[wrong size for my Raleigh] and put the m737 rear on my Raleigh. he had removed the 170mm arm crankset from his rockhopper comp so I used it on the hardrock frame along with my stx rear derailleur, uno seatpost and a old man friendly seat with springs on it, and I had a working bike for my newly retired dad to ride around the neighborhood.

now to the question, this frame has the chainstay mounted u-brake and all those parts were in a box, and as I put it back together there was a spring missing, quick trip to the lbs got me the missing spring and I swapped the wrong sized bottom bracket for a set of take off stx front cantis to fit the giant fork.

here is my question[FINALLY, I know]....in order to have the pads hit the rim correctly, I have to clamp the rear wheel in the dropouts before the "end" of the "hook"...there is no way to have the hub all the way back in the dropouts and adjust the pads to work correctly. I think I asked a while back on MTBR and someone suggested maybe an "insert" to space it correctly but no definite answer, and as I just finshed my GT Ruckus build, I put it in the stand to clean it up[been collecting dust in the garage]

attached is a few pics showing the pad at the rim/the adjustment area and back at the dropout showing the room left at the rear.

Attachments

• pad adjustment slot.JPG
    pad adjustment slot.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 641
  • pads at rim edge.JPG
    pads at rim edge.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 641
  • gap at end of dropout.JPG
    gap at end of dropout.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 641
Back in the dim and distant, if the horizontal dropouts didnt have adjusters on them like road frames, they would often come with little half moon shaped parts that would bolt into the gap. I havent seen any for ages and cannot find a picture yet.

2403576831_7dedc744a0.jpg

PeugeotPR10_1976_DropRear1.jpg

Back