Tyre advice please!

rodgy1970

Dirt Disciple
I'm needing some XC tyres for a sunn urge un 999, XC517 rims, I've been running slicks on it for a few years and I'm thinking about going off road and need some tyres within a very tight budget.

It came with Hutchinson Pythons but they are long gone and way beyond my budget as a replacement option.

I've been looking at the Panracer Fire XC at about £13.50 from Wiggle they seem to get very good reviews as an all round tyre and suit my budget.

I'm not sure what width to go for, should I go fat front - 2.1 and thin back - 1.8 or fat/fat :?

Cheers :D

Fire XC's are good all round tyres. I have had a few pairs over the years.

If you are doing light off road and maybe mixing in some road to get you there and back, go 1.8 front and rear.

Pickle":ztqebta5 said:
Fire XC's are good all round tyres. I have had a few pairs over the years.

If you are doing light off road and maybe mixing in some road to get you there and back, go 1.8 front and rear.

Cheers, thats probably what I will be doing.

Would that be the best choice for the fine gravel forest paths/trails too ?

I would always go fat on the back and thinner on the front. Great traction/grip plus lighter/quicker handling. i've got Conti tires and Panracer tires nothing bigger than a 1.8 on the front. with 30psi max front & rear

tintin40":1k4fxz8f said:
I would always go fat on the back and thinner on the front. Great traction/grip plus lighter/quicker handling. i've got Conti tires and Panracer tires nothing bigger than a 1.8 on the front. with 30psi max front & rear

Might get two thins and a fat and try this out at some stage.

Splatter Paint":1k4fxz8f said:
You can't beat CRC!

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=39182

Though the For Sale pages on this site has quite a few pairs for ~£15.

SP

CRC are real competitive on price but the reviews and ratings aren't that great, as I'm a bit green I find them very useful and Wiggle is good on this.

I'd thoroughly recommend the Fire XC Pro: I run 1.8's and it's a fast tyre, and surprisingly good even in mud. I've never pinch flatted (I run a rigid singlespeed) but the 1.8 is light has not liked the tiny flints this winter (last winter was fine).

XC pro's, I run on 1.8's when its muddy, but change to 2.1's when trails get dry the wider tyres don't seem to break away so much in the beams when the going gets faster. Hardly ever get any flats until the tread starts to really wear.

I recently got some 1.8 Fire XC's from Halfords for £10 each. Been a great all round tyre and no punctures yet :D

Back