Today's ROAD ride

First time out on this since last october did round 75miles rouind manchester and chester picture was done back at work after a clean.

Since I recently started riding my Raleigh Winner I've been finding that the flat 20 - 40 mile circuits I usually ride on my MTB aren't challenging enough, so I went on what turned out to be a hilly 94 mile ride on Saturday.

Starting off in Glasgow, I rode up to Fenwick Moor, missing a sign where I was supposed to turn to stay on the National Cycle Route. Being vaguely familiar with the country roads in the area anyway, I followed the road signs to Kilmarnock then Prestwick, where I joined National Cycle Route 7.

I then rode south a few miles to Ayr, where I had lunch. After lunch I followed National Cycle Route 7 north to Paisley, and rode down Paisley Road West back home to Glasgow.

One thing I really liked about this ride is the 12 mile climb from Glasgow to Fenwick, which I plan on incorporating into more circuits.

Raleigh Winner on the "beach" at Prestwick:

raleigh_winner_prestwick_zpsdijstej4.jpg

Re:

That sounds like an epic ride! :cool:

On a nice old bike. Did you only need one bottle?

How tall are you ? :shock:

Thanks. It was one of my best rides ever, despite the fact that it rained for most of the return leg (and as you can see the bike has no mudguards).

I'm 6 feet tall.

I had another bottle in my rucksack.

Mike Muz 67":1r0zuoin said:
Nice, it looks quite old?

Mike

Thanks. It's a 1975 model, but the colours do make it look older. Here's what it looked like in the '75 brochure:

720.jpg

Not sure that wall is safe enough to stand the bike against though! :shock:

LOL, it may be high-ten, but I don't think that wall was ever in any danger.

Re:

Well, I can't compete with you high mileage types, as time is always short here, although I am hoping to up the miles as the evenings draw out.

Anyway, although it's pretty blustery here, the weather forecast for the rest of the week is poor, so up a couple of hills to try the legs'n'lungs.

Lots of my riding is on little back lanes, but as the M5 runs right past the town, it is a little hard to avoid.

DSCN1016_zpsy4vm5fxu.jpg

Over the M5 and back towards W-s-M with a diversion up over Bleadon Hill (which starts more or less at sea level) and along the Roman Road. It's a nice little burner and good / bad for my climbing legs.

That's the Severn Estuary with Exmoor in the far background. Hinkley Point is on the other side of the River Exe, directly across from where the photo was taken.

DSCN1022_zpsgzbeqh1w.jpg

Re:

Thanks, but if you want proper scenery, you need to head to Scotland. I was up there two years ago and am planning on being back up there in June.

The tiny white dot to the right of the picture is a camper van, I was heading that way.
DSCN0513_zps730c7ede.jpg

On my way up the Long Glen
DSCN0529_zps1dd169d7.jpg

Gratuitous Rourke shot.
DSCN0527_zpsacc1eafd.jpg

Back