Today's Ride

The relatively flat lands of Cheshire are rather less interesting than my usual cycling spots, but today did give me the opportunity to get a shot of a group of stags and my bike at the same time, while going through Tatton Park.

IMG_2920.jpg

Also, I can't deny it is sometimes nice to have a little break from the hills...

IMG_2925.jpg

I've seen a couple of posts on here recently featuring some nice Ribbles (@winjohn @vcballbat ) & it made me feel guilty that mines not seen tarmac for a few years.

Got it dusted off today & went for a spin around the lanes - I'd completely forgotten how nice it was to ride!

Couple of problems to sort out over the weekend: - front derailleur doesn't seem to want to shift to the smallest ring & there's a couple of spots of surface rust around the cable guides.

I need to find some touch up paint in canary yellow.
That takes me back,i used to race on a Yellow 531 Ribble.

The wife headed off early to drive to the start of another walk. “I’ll meet you at the end,” says me. I still haven’t done my tour but decided this could be yet another warm up for it.
New roads to me out in the Staffordshire farm lands. The first thing to catch my attention were two or three large fields of poppies.
06B23C7F-EAD9-4AA0-A0B9-98B3E15FE085.jpeg

I’m not sure whether they’re growing them for the petals (eco confetti), the seeds for cooking or to make heroin? It was one of those rides where every corner seemed to bring a new headwind. They didn’t bother me too much. They helped cool me down and I wasn’t going very fast.
Lilleshall Abbey was quickly investigated and very nice it was too. These places aren’t too far from me, how come I have never been before? The planned tour is supposed to address this.
08F0B02A-ECAF-4FEF-A6D1-4755AFC24A13.jpeg

The miles were slowly accumulating and I was beginning to slow even more. The Garmin was indicating the next road on the right would take me in the right direction. Trouble was it wasn’t looking too much like a road. There was also a lack of signs telling me to not go down there so off I bumped. Some time later I did see a Private Access sign. Try putting the thing at the start! Committed now, I wasn’t about to turn around and add 5 more miles to my route. Saw a bloke and a couple of horse riders and all they said was, “Hi.”
90D0F031-B927-4E72-A476-4EE4B0DEB1D7.jpeg

It went up quite a lot and I could feel the trailer hold me back. It was soon done and I found the car park where the wife was waiting. She had only been back for five minutes so my timing was good!

Back