Today's Ride

Another lunchtime short, sharp ride, this time to road-test a frame I've been building up: a Soma Groove, which is definitely post-1998! From what I can work out it's probably 2005 or '06. It's really nice -- double-butted Tange Prestige with both V-brake studs and disc mounts. I've built it up with eBay parts, pretty much as they came up and if they fitted: Fox fork, Crossmax wheels, Avid BB7 brakes, Race Face cranks/rings, and mix-and-match Shimano 10-speed at the back.View attachment 699427

All seemed fine -- it's a hot day here, so no climbing records were broken, but was pleased that the build held up and nothing fell off!

Wouldn't mind seeing more of the scenery, makes a nice change from the wet and cold :cool:

Wouldn't mind seeing more of the scenery, makes a nice change from the wet and cold :cool:
Yeah I've been seeing some Australian videos recently and it never ceases to amaze me that it's their summer during our grey soup season.

I'm a winter person but as we can't get winter's that aren't soupy, I'm giving up and I'm now a summer person. I cycled a lot more during last summer, and I've truly let myself down this winter.

Yeah I've been seeing some Australian videos recently and it never ceases to amaze me that it's their summer during our grey soup season.

I'm a winter person but as we can't get winter's that aren't soupy, I'm giving up and I'm now a summer person. I cycled a lot more during last summer, and I've truly let myself down this winter.

I've been watching NZ videos funnily enough, not sure if I felt better or worse for watching them though.

Ok, then i can supply with yesterdays ride pics...
20230124_142042.jpg 20230124_144310.jpg
20230124_150351.jpg
20230124_152410.jpg
20230124_152552.jpg
20230124_152657.jpg
20230124_152717.jpg

It's still pretty new to me -- where we are there's not much singletrack and options to explore private land are limited, so I'm mainly on fire roads and dirt roads. But not far from here are some areas with dedicated MTB trails which are open again after a couple of years' lockdown. I'll post details when I get the chance to explore a bit.

(And weather-wise, we've had two consecutive La Nina summers with tons of rain, floods, unseasonably cold weather, etc., so it hasn't been the typical Aussie outdoor paradise we're accustomed to imagining . . .)

After being unable to ride at all for a couple of months, and after a further month of little more than twenty minute rides to gently work the muscles, I decided to try going a little further today and managed sixteen miles. Still nowhere near full fitness, and despite the strong, chilly winds, it was nevertheless good to get out and explore this green and pleasant land. PXL_20230129_123603899.jpg
PXL_20230129_123050193.jpg

Back