Today's Ride

Most of it is the same edge in theory, once you cross the odd road here and there :)

Today's ride was 42 miles to Dover Castle and back. It's a harder ride than the one to Sandwich: up and down hills pretty relentlessly. Add in cold, strong winds, a wrong turn on the way back, some confusing road signs (they had been twisted around so it wasn't clear which sign matched with which road) and my legs were aching towards the end of the ride. It focused the mind on nothing other than pedalling on. And that wasn't a bad thing at all. The sitting by the death bed continues, seven weeks after a two-weeks-left-to-live prediction from the end-of-life doctor, and watching end-stage dementia is not fun. The eating stops (two months ago in this case), weakness and greater confusion ensues, then the ability to drink starts to go; pain and discomfort increases, feelings of being lost increase. It's dying while still living and it's a grim, slow death. And we've had eldest sprog staying while she's between houses, and she comes with a two month-old and a two year-old, so we've had the end-of-life paperwork in the same fridge as the baby milk. We have nappies for a two month-old and nappies for an eighty-five year-old. We have new life and end-of-life in adjacent bedrooms. 'Birth, old age, sickness and death' in one household. I'm fine, but cycling along, focused on nothing much more than my own discomfort, was strangely welcome.

Photos:

Some friends I first met a couple of weeks ago:
PXL_20211107_121349154.jpg

Dover (France was just about visible on the horizon):
PXL_20211107_130403795.jpg

Dover Castle:
PXL_20211107_130255744.jpg

Back