titec bars

I had a ti bar on once only,it was very disconcerting, the way it flexed,I have visions of snapping bar and falling with a bus behind you :shock:

Not wanting to put anyone off :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

DM":39160bkl said:
Danob1":39160bkl said:
So the berts are only for bar ends. If i don,t use um i don't need um.

I would DEFINITELY use the end-caps, anyway.
The tubing walls are VERY thin at the ends - as in "scary" thin :shock:

Mine S/H set didn't have the BERTS installed and they happily chopped the ends out of a few sets of grips before I put some X-Lite end caps in there.

They could take a perfect core sample from your leg or intestines if you ever stacked on them.

The Berts won't help with your concern...they really are for barends to prevent crimping.

Were the original Titec stem, bars, and seatpost made in the usa? Before they were bought by trek.

Do you guys know about these old mtb/dh Titec bars,with about 2,5 rise,all welded construction,with almost motocross styled support bar.It mounts into just about any 1" stem but its sturdy as ever.Has two gold coloured aluminium plugs in the end of the lower part,like bar end plugs but not still :D

and bit off topic but same brand.....

what about these curved seatposts,theyre weirdo parts in my eyes.not so old but i dont see those often.

Traani":2uxksxjw said:
Do you guys know about these old mtb/dh Titec bars,with about 2,5 rise,all welded construction,with almost motocross styled support bar.It mounts into just about any 1" stem but its sturdy as ever.Has two gold coloured aluminium plugs in the end of the lower part,like bar end plugs but not still :D

and bit off topic but same brand.....

what about these curved seatposts,theyre weirdo parts in my eyes.not so old but i dont see those often.

I'm not sure of the welded support bar being Titec; I believe it was a Bontrager Crowbar, which became one and the same with titec when it was all under Trek anyway. (Well maybe not one and the same, but the earlier bars were just Titec, and later became Titec/Bontrager).

The riser bars without the motorcross styled support bars were Titec Hellbent bars; the seatposts were called the same- Hellbent.

Yep i know somethin about connection between TiTec and Trell,but this one i have is titec anyway :cool: .
Heres also one hellbent seatpost with that hellish bent under seat :shock: ,27.2mm if i remember rite.

ill get photos when i can and post it.

I've had a set of the plain gauge ones on my Orange for somewhere in the region of 12 years or so. I think that says something for their longevity anyway.

yep theyre very longlasting and durable.

ive had my support bar-type ( i really dont know the name of it sorry) for about....5 years now,and before that it had been in use for many many years,and yet it is reliable thing,and will be as it hasnt seen any competition downhill abuse or anything like that but ofcourse it has worn markings and all but i dont mind.Ill trade it if soemone appreciates it,nito useful bike material,but i wont be sad if ill keep being owner of it as i havent seen one other like this ever,still someone has imported it,commercially or something.
Its bit too overbuilt for my dirt/trail bike,make sthe fork and stemm look skinny :cool: .Still it aint oversize one,its more like two tapered halves,where the grips and levers attach,joined by one mid-part which is welded to these and the whole H-profile ( sort of) thingy is then welded to the piece of tubing in size of on inch,that attaches onto stemm and then to fork etc.
It smore like "project: how difficult we can make the traditional moto-x bar for mtb".

6 parts to make something that is nowadays made from three parts most of the times.But then again it would be difficult to make it so rugged from just few parts.atleast before hydraforming came up.

[/quote]

Were the original Titec stem, bars, and seatpost made in the usa? Before they were bought by trek.[/quote]

From what I remember the OEM Ti bars were Taiwan built and BikePro says they were built in mainland China.

i dont have any clue about the country of origin but th equality seems to be better than many "made in taiwan" .

Going back to the straight bars, the 'Pro Series' one that came with my Kona weighs 160g, so the '118' version is obviously a lot thinner. If ti bars have the same characeristics as ti frames, I would expect the 118 to be too flexy for many riders but not in danger of snapping.

ti has the opposite characteristics to aluminium, in that its limiting factor is stiffness - i.e., you could build a sub-3lbs ti frame that would be strong enough not to break, but it would be too flexy for almost anybody. Whereas with aluminium the limiting factor is strength - nobody builds 2.5lbs 7005 mtb frames, even though they would be fairly stiff, probably stiff enough for general mtb, because they wouldn't be strong enough and would be apt to snap.

Back