titec bars

They all are - until they break... ;)

Seem to remember Titec was pretty good stuff - though I might be totally wrong... :roll:

They were expensive but they were also designed as a lightweight part, some being classed as a single season item (ie they should be replaced after a year or so). With all used bars treat with caution as you don't know how long or hard they have been used and they do all have a very limited life-span. Personally if you are looking for shimmed bars then I would buy a set of the cheaper brand new ones on ebay from Taiwan, probably come from the same factory that made the Titecs back in the day but come in decent widths and don't have the pre-used worries

Are we talking about their titanium bars? If so they're pretty good.
They did a plain guage one like every one elses, and a butted one which weighs 118gms! (both had a lifetime guarantee).
The '118' is probably the lightest/strongest bar (for its weight) ever made, and is particularly comfortable, esp on a rigid bike. -It's paper thin at the ends and can be bent with the fingers :shock: , but still had the lifetime warranty. It came with 'bar end reinforcement things' (BERTs) for use with barends, and cost up to £120 BITD !
Downside is they were only 550mm wide.
I've got a couple and reckon they're fab.

edit: If you ride hard and crash a lot they might not be for you, but otherwise they'll last forever. (Titanium bars are always a better bet than alu ones anyway..)
-If you find '118s' cheap, snap 'em up !

ferrus":1fj2j6y1 said:
Are we talking about their titanium bars? If so they're pretty good.
They did a plain guage one like every one elses, and a butted one which weighs 118gms! (both had a lifetime guarantee).
The '118' is probably the lightest/strongest bar (for its weight) ever made, and is particularly comfortable, esp on a rigid bike. -It's paper thin at the ends and can be bent with the fingers :shock: , but still had the lifetime warranty. It came with 'bar end reinforcement things' (BERTs) for use with barends, and cost up to £120 BITD !
Downside is they were only 550mm wide.
I've got a couple and reckon they're fab.

edit: If you ride hard and crash a lot they might not be for you, but otherwise they'll last forever. (Titanium bars are always a better bet than alu ones anyway..)
-If you find '118s' cheap, snap 'em up !
So the berts are only for bar ends. If i don,t use um i don't need um.

I've got a prototype set, and some Bontrager 118s. Lifetime warranty and no issues. Good condition sets make very good money.

BERTS are only to stop tbar-end clamps crushing the bar.

Danob1":2v2kby61 said:
So the berts are only for bar ends. If i don,t use um i don't need um.

I would DEFINITELY use the end-caps, anyway.
The tubing walls are VERY thin at the ends - as in "scary" thin :shock:

Mine S/H set didn't have the BERTS installed and they happily chopped the ends out of a few sets of grips before I put some X-Lite end caps in there.

They could take a perfect core sample from your leg or intestines if you ever stacked on them.

Back