Titanium, a mystic dark art must have or a lot of hype?

Re:

Im partial to proper Irish gammon, flowery potatoes with butter, parsley cabbage and turnip, all washed down with a pint of the blackstuff, preferably after a nice days golf or fishing :mrgreen:

Alu frames are far more likely to crack due to fatigue than even the cheapest Ti versions - fact. Im not convinced there is a high incidence of Ti frames cracking at all. If they do crack it would be sooner rather than later due to contaminated welds and they would be replaced or repaired under warranty. The few Ti frames that i have heard of cracking were used for many many years, Ibis, Moots etc. The bikes were ridden in all that time regularly - mostly because they are so good to ride and thats really the point ;) Their owners also seemed to have little hesitation in taking a lot of trouble to find the best Ti welders and paying to get the repair done properly, so they could keep on riding it. Why would they bother if the bikes didnt give such a rewarding ownership experience ?

I have seen a few cracked Alu frames, Manitous anyone? Kleins of old are actually very resilient, but crack at the seat tube thanks to the habit of shoving long seatpins on 'too small' a frame.

I do feel Ti is a safe bet for longevity, and of course is repairable, with the caveat of expense and hassle finding an expert.

The steels that can compete on weight are paper thin, and not as repairable as the 'lesser' steel, so for me don't pose an attractive alternative.

I do like me an 853.

Paper thin or no, I just like them.

Just have to remember not to chuck them in the back of the Land Rover in the same discourteous manner as thicker tubes.

There is much to said for favouring one type over another, but the first step is to compare like for like in terms of quality and technology, there have been huge advances in materials and design over the years, and generally speaking premium brands cost more for very good reasons of design, quality and brand reputation.

With that in mind my first experience of titanium was with a raleigh dyna tech MTB which was so light and better than the norm to in the 1980's. It rode brillantly. My next two road titanium frames are 1990's, and are just as good. In terms of preference, titanium gives a better ride than steel, which is more comfortable than aluminium, and carbon.

I like riding all of my bikes but for different reasons, but am very pleased with the titanium experience.

highlandsflyer":plw8fwf4 said:
I have seen a few cracked Alu frames, Manitous anyone? Kleins of old are actually very resilient, but crack at the seat tube thanks to the habit of shoving long seatpins on 'too small' a frame.

I do feel Ti is a safe bet for longevity, and of course is repairable, with the caveat of expense and hassle finding an expert.

The steels that can compete on weight are paper thin, and not as repairable as the 'lesser' steel, so for me don't pose an attractive alternative.

I do like me an 853.

Paper thin or no, I just like them.

Just have to remember not to chuck them in the back of the Land Rover in the same discourteous manner as thicker tubes.

Exactly !! Easy to forget that the super thin steel tubes used to achieve such a light weight frame do need to be dried out thoroughly after every wet ride and sprayed liberally with frame saver etc but they still slowly rust inside with atmospheric moisture anyway. A top end Ti for me is the ultimate CX riding material in every way and worth every cent. I see so many modern carbon bikes crack and their huge depreciation, not to mention parts obsolescence and that puts me off. Curious to try an 853 bike at some point.

CommanderChuff":ahpc1olt said:
There is much to said for favouring one type over another, but the first step is to compare like for like in terms of quality and technology, there have been huge advances in materials and design over the years, and generally speaking premium brands cost more for very good reasons of design, quality and brand reputation.

With that in mind my first experience of titanium was with a raleigh dyna tech MTB which was so light and better than the norm to in the 1980's. It rode brillantly. My next two road titanium frames are 1990's, and are just as good. In terms of preference, titanium gives a better ride than steel, which is more comfortable than aluminium, and carbon.

I like riding all of my bikes but for different reasons, but am very pleased with the titanium experience.

I hope those who still have their doubts or who are interested on this thread try a decent retro Ti frame. Anything Sandvik welded will ride great and they can often be had for £3-500.

Re: Re:

66 triumph daytona":3kz3yax7 said:
What would be the least expensive route to Sandvik?Diamondback?

Yeah, i rode a Ti DBR years ago, pretty stiff in the BB region and very smooth but rare. Early Sandvik Hei Heis are easier to find but less rigid than a DBR Ti.

Re:

I recall reading an interview with Joe Murry; Cro-Mo best value for ride quality, Ti for best ride quality if money no object.

In THM world, that would be Frankfurters and mustard vs handmade Cumbrian sausages glazed with a dash of cognac.

Back