Tioga Disk Drive How-to?

do you have the tioga paper work on how to correctly tension the disc? the nipples need to be tensioned in a certain order. monsterfat sent it to me. its pretty easy to follow. if it quickly looses tension, it means the cord is frayed somewhere.

safe to ride? tomac had a new disc after every 20rides. as a light, infrequent use wheel it'll be fine.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
scant":3ac9azcc said:
do you have the tioga paper work on how to correctly tension the disc? the nipples need to be tensioned in a certain order. monsterfat sent it to me. its pretty easy to follow. if it quickly looses tension, it means the cord is frayed somewhere.

safe to ride? tomac had a new disc after every 20rides. as a light, infrequent use wheel it'll be fine.

Okay, Ive got that manual and the diagram but the directions are pretty lack-luster. I was rather impatient and didnt follow the tensioning diagram to the tee, so when I get a decent pair of hub\rim Ill do it correctly.

And the locktite- its not mentioned in the manual, but is supplied, and im guessing its a good idea?

Yep, you should only locktite the hub bolts... would be hard retensioning if you also do the rim bolts :)

Sorry for hijacking this, but I have my Disc Drive setup on a hub and rim and was also wondering about how to properly tension it. I have it trued now, but was a bit worried about what tension or force there should be on the rim bolts? Someone told me it was just a matter of feeling/instinct as there is no way of checking spoke tension on these things. Is that correct or is there some smart way "a la momentum wrench" to get the threads evenly tensioned?

Bit worried about riding it now (especially with my f*t *ss) :oops: Won't be using it much, but I just HAVE TO have ridden it some times before I die ;-)

Void

No hijacking here, all shared knowledge :)

Do you need scans of the proper tentioning strategy? I could post thems ometime soon.

angrytoaster":10q7xzxg said:

Do you need scans of the proper tentioning strategy? I could post thems ometime soon.

Well, I do have the original instructions that came with it (mine was a NOS one still in the box and complete). But all it says in there is how to tension it, in what order. But since I'm not a wheel builder I have no idea when the tension is strong enough on the wheel. Like with bolts on cars etc there is a momentum to tighten them, but I don't think there is with this wheel. Or is it just "if it won't go any tighter, it's tight enough" :?:

Void

Void(EN12-82)":1fsupm96 said:
angrytoaster":1fsupm96 said:

Well, I do have the original instructions that came with it (mine was a NOS one still in the box and complete). But all it says in there is how to tension it, in what order. But since I'm not a wheel builder I have no idea when the tension is strong enough on the wheel. Like with bolts on cars etc there is a momentum to tighten them, but I don't think there is with this wheel. Or is it just "if it won't go any tighter, it's tight enough" :?:

Void

:oops: I was wondering the exact same thing! Did you pre-tighten yours in the order, then go back and fully tighten it in the oder, or did you just do a full tight from the get go?

Back