Tioga Disk Drive How-to?

angrytoaster

Devout Dirtbag
So, I picked up a Tioga Disk Drive kevlar set-up today for 20$. Its been previously mounted but the kevlar is not frayed, and appears to be able to be ridden again. Thing is, I know nothing about these nor do I know the proper way to tension them as to not kill myself while riding it! :LOL:

Ive set it up already, as a quick run-through to get the hang of it on an old rim and hub, but havent lock-tited anything(as I heard was recommended)

The tioga supplied instructions are less than desirable, and I was wondering if any of you guys who have experience with them could give me a few key pointers to get this guy rolling. I plan to ride it semi-often.

AT

anybody? Heres a picture of me excited after the ''test run'' :oops:

:LOL:

Half waiting for somebody to tell me ''hang it on the wall its dangerous!'', but I dont know, seems like this thing can be pretty strong if properly tentioned and lock-tited

Attachments

• 26749_1288439743005_1590540071_30703094_3168614_n.jpg
    26749_1288439743005_1590540071_30703094_3168614_n.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 2,042
:oops: :oops: Excuse my ignorance, but I really don't know much about it besides from having initially seen one on the BOTY and only buying it based on seeing it there, and wanting to have some ridiculous wheel to build for a couple of hours.

But im guessing a twenty is more than fair price? :LOL:

angrytoaster":2scygy4e said:
:oops: :oops: Excuse my ignorance, but I really don't know much about it besides from having initially seen one on the BOTY and only buying it based on seeing it there, and wanting to have some ridiculous wheel to build for a couple of hours.

But im guessing a twenty is more than fair price? :LOL:

A built up wheel in good condition usually sells for about £300 upwards matey :cool:

Bargain of the decade!

shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Wow. I really like this thing, Ive got a TI frame build that I havent posted yet that I think this should be put on. Are these decently safe to ride, if built up properly? 300 pounds, that just blows my mind. :shock:

angrytoaster":31od2ewq said:
shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Wow. I really like this thing, Ive got a TI frame build that I havent posted yet that I think this should be put on. Are these decently safe to ride, if built up properly? 300 pounds, that just blows my mind. :shock:

DD's in good condition are sought after and make strong money.

Built correctly they are safe to ride. A few member on here still use them regularly; John, gump and monsterfatuk spring to mind. I am sure they can help you with it.

Build and enjoy....or sell and laugh all the way to the bank!

They are totally unsafe fella,, even if tensioned correctly, if you send it to me , I'll dispose of it in the appropriate manner.. non of this fly tipping.. ;) and if your nice I'll cover the postage for you.. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Pickle":foa2hl4k said:
DD's in good condition are sought after and make strong money.

Built correctly they are safe to ride. A few member on here still use them regularly; John, gump and monsterfatuk spring to mind. I am sure they can help you with it.

Build and enjoy....or sell and laugh all the way to the bank!

I can never make myself keep something outside of its intended use. Im really excited to get this thing road-worthy with some classy hub\rim combo and go pretend to be john tomac! Would scans of the instruction manual be of use to anybody? Also- I got an extra little sugino black wrench for tensioning the nuts in the package, seemed to come with an extra set of the screws to tension to the nipples too. Anybody out there with one of these missing a few bits?

I was really suprised when i half-arse built it in the shop, I really had no expectations for any horizontal strength of the thing, but the hub doesn't even budge. A few other threads mentioned using a 36h mavic 231, any signifigance?

Sithlord, you make a convincing case! :twisted:

Back