Time for a rant, prices

Re: Re:

Markybeau":215id8z6 said:
These are tip bikes especially the last one.

I always though the Cobe Attain was pretty decent tbh.

Oh, I see what you mean....

:LOL:

themountie":365esnzv said:
500 for a entry level cannondale m200,

Thats actually the price of an M200 brand new bitd. As in my signature thats how much mine cost.
Pants spec too :x

Supply of retro bikes (or at least the ones I want in the big sizes I need) has got a lot smaller in recent years. There used to be a time, 5 years ago or so, when you'd see the same handful of top flight frames being cycled between different RB members and there was always the illusion that maybe, maybe next year I'll but that frame or whatever when it's current owner decides to move it on. It feels like the market slowed down, prices fell, and some of us (including me) are scared to sell because the chances are now I'll never find another one in my size again if I let my Rourke / M Trax / Dynatech go.

I also reckon lockdown has, as others have suggested, led to more people at home on the internet dreaming about bikes and deciding to buy what they hankered after or rode in the 90s. Plus travel on public transport is being discouraged in many places, with cycling seen as the way forward, so a lot of people are buying themselves a bike to commute on, and a rigid retro can be a good option for that. SO, an influx of money combined with restricted supply is probably what is pushing prices up.

These things go in cycles, so hopefully the high prices will stimulate people to check the back of their garage for their old bikes to sell, boosting supply and dropping prices.

I think that's right. People are saying that that things will never be the same again post-virus, and the bike has been put into widespread good use recently for exercise and commuting. I'd welcome a return to universal cycle use, instead of being predominantly for sport. The more, the merrier say I.
I worked briefly at a bike charity, and I was shocked by the sheer quantity of nearly new bikes donated. Not so many right now, I'm thinking.

I think this is because people are buying bikes for exercise at the moment.

I sold a few bikes on eBay and they got snapped up from people in London and I was informed that you couldn't bike a new bike in London for love nor money. So people are buying what they can and it is pushing the prices up.

It's just supply and demand. I have noticed POS bikes going for silly money aswell.

Re:

Everyone is thinking a old bike is worth loads. Once we return to normal there will be loads of bikes for sale and loads that have overpaid for crap

Re:

Someone near me was trying to sell a viking road bike for £1000. Bearing in mind they are only £250 new he might be waiting a while.

There's been a few people lately trying to sell bikes for £800+ that were less than £500 new. Nothing desirable, just modern rubbish.

Back