Time for a rant, prices

Cheshire1980":l4gtv30i said:
I think the suggestions already made, that people are at home, have time on there hands, have probably bumped the prices up. Plus I have noticed a lot less Old Shimano parts for sale.. very little on eBay

Yep, this, people are bored and have time to look. Plenty want bikes for their daily exercise so everything is getting bought. Not sure it's always greed as on STW people have been shocked at how much their auctions are making.

Not just retro either, have a look how many online shops have new bikes in stock and if you want a complete modern groupset good luck!

I'd been considering a discounted Orange before lock down and the usual places like Sunset MTB had loads of reduced stock. Virtually all went in a couple of weeks .Bikes and bits have become the latest bog roll so people are snapping everything up! Also heard that no new stock is being shipped either so it could be a while before it is replaced.

Might stick the road bike on auction.... :facepalm: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Re:

Folk will pay for what they really want, cant have bargains without expense. Polarity young jedi, now while the prices are high, get selling ;)

Re: Re:

longun":12v8ikzc said:
Folk will pay for what they really want, cant have bargains without expense. Polarity young jedi, now while the prices are high, get selling ;)

actually, that is a very good point, get selling while people are buying because I think all the nice 26" stuff I have in my garage will be worthless fairly soon as people move on the next greatest thing (axle diameter, wheel size, fork travel, bottom bracket type etc etc etc)

longun":1igmdy3r said:

Yeah, you make a strong valid point :facepalm:
Just can’t part with anything at the moment :facepalm:

I have twenty retro Bikes but just can't bring myself to sell them it would be like selling my children.
I bought another 5 in the last week at good prices total cost of all 5 was £330
the 5 bikes .the Dynatech was ebay but the rest sourced locally.
1.Maxam Hot Chilli Extreme ( very rare )
2.Raleigh Dynatech Titanium
3.Scott Chenoa
4.Kona Cindercone
5.Diamondback Topanga
So they are still out there at reasonable prices you just have to be quick when you see them.

Re: Rant

I'm selling a few hope the prices are fair - a cull is now 'furlough' the herd.

I usually buy projects to rescue hard to put a price them, some going for silly money for sure.

Parts getting hard to find too .............. rare to find decent bits project stalls why do we do this?

Re:

How do you sell a bike at the moment though? OK if the buyer is close by, or you have a large box to put it in for a courier. Otherwise :?

I am thinking of selling a couple of my Konas but if I wait until the end of lock down there might not be any money left circulating to buy them!

We do this Retrobike thimg because we want to! Like many, I've brought many bikes back from oblivion/the scrap heap, and they're still only worth a few quid more than my outlay. And I'm not counting my hours. If it turns out that they're worth a few dollars more, then fine. But I'm not selling, what's in the garage is there for a reason- it's for riding. Mostly, anyway..
Bikes are booming right now. Come next winter, they'll be back in the shed, or for sale. Then again, who knows..

oaklec":15077a4m said:
Do people really pay this money for a hybrid?

I wouldn't really call that a hybrid, but then, I guess.... if you add the word "Gravel" it's like the modern equivalent of adding "Retro * or" Rare" :LOL:

Anyway, spot the difference...

Attachments

• DSC_0506-01_copy_2201x1238.jpeg
    DSC_0506-01_copy_2201x1238.jpeg
    530.7 KB · Views: 517
  • Screenshot_20200513_210413.jpg
    Screenshot_20200513_210413.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 517

Latest posts

Back